We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day train from Paris to Cinque Terre

houston
Level Contributor
68 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Day train from Paris to Cinque Terre

We are planning to make this train trip in mid-June (June 12) and hope to arrive in the 5terr that evening. The train from Paris connects in Milan, then to Genova, La Spezia then Monterosso. My question is: does anyone know how crowded this route (especially the Paris to Milan--leaving at 8am on a weekday morning) is during the summer? I am wondering if I should book this online now--concerned that would it be risky to wait until I arrive in Paris.

The europe rail website is much more expensive than Trenitalia, but I don't think i can buy this ticket online through Trenitalia (& I don't know if Trenitalia has a booth/office in Paris metro stations).

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,314 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day train from Paris to Cinque Terre

You can buy international tickets from Paris, at the any French rail office. There is no Italian rail booth in Paris. It is not needed.

You can also buy online, Paris - Milan on the French railway website http://www.voyages-sncf.com/ (click the UK flag at bottom left for English), and Milano - Monterosso from trenitalia.it

houston
Level Contributor
68 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day train from Paris to Cinque Terre

bibimbob

Thanks for the links, but I saw that on the SCNF site I cannot pick up my tix in the U.S. Do you know how these are collected? (I am a bit nervous about forking over all of than $ and then hoping I can collect them in France).

houston
Level Contributor
68 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day train from Paris to Cinque Terre

bibimbob

Thanks for the links, but I saw that on the SCNF site I cannot pick up my tix in the U.S. Do you know how these are collected? (I am a bit nervous about forking over all of than $ and then hoping I can collect them in France).

houston
Level Contributor
68 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day train from Paris to Cinque Terre

also does anyone know how crowded the Paris-Milan route is on a weekday morning in June? (should I book far in advance?)

Genoa, Italy
Level Contributor
265 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day train from Paris to Cinque Terre

There is a daily flight from Paris to Genoa with AirFrance !! If you book quite in advance it is not too expensive and save you some time..