We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferrari Museums and Test Drive - Questions

Elburn, Illinois
Level Contributor
201 posts
164 reviews
Save Topic
Ferrari Museums and Test Drive - Questions

Hi everyone! My husband and I are going to be in Italy in May 2014. We are staying in Bellagio for few days and then heading to Siena for 5 nights. I guess my first question is should I rent car in Lake Como area and drive to Seina so that I can stop in Maranello area on the drive down to Siena or would I be better off just taking day trip from Siena and doing the Ferrari museums and maybe stoping in Bologna for some exploration. It looks like from info that I have found there are 2 different museums. 1 more focued on history of man and 1 more focused on the cars. It also looks like some outside vendors offer opportunity to drive veh for fee either on tracks or in the towns. One of the museums also offers some sort of "track tour". Is this tour worth extra fee? What exactly is this a tour of? How far is Maranello from Siena? How far is Maranello from Lake Como area? I think that is all of my questions for now. Thank you in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Bellagio
Bellagio
Lake Como, Italy
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Lake Como
Lake Como
Lombardy, Italy
Ferrari
Ferrari
157 Reviews
Cervara di Roma, Italy
Bologna
Bologna
Province of Bologna, Italy
Elburn, Illinois
Level Contributor
201 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferrari Museums and Test Drive - Questions

Anyone? Maranello Question.....

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,390 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferrari Museums and Test Drive - Questions

Google says Maranello i 206 km from Siena (2 hr and 22mim), and 274 km from Lake Com0 (3 hours of driving)

Mentioned in this post
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Elburn, Illinois
Level Contributor
201 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferrari Museums and Test Drive - Questions

Is google usually pretty good estimate in Italy. I was using Mapquest at one time and someone told me that those search engines were not very good for European travel. I've never been so I have no idea.....

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
17,044 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferrari Museums and Test Drive - Questions

Google consistently underestimates the time it takes to drive in Italy. The directions, however, are pretty good generally.

Other resources to try:

www.tuttocitta.it

www.viamichelin.com

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferrari Museums and Test Drive - Questions

Personally, I would stop in Maranello on the way to from Bellagio to Siena. The track tour is new so I don't know much about it. A shuttle bus takes you around the track area and you can not get off the bus during the tour, nor take photos or videos. The museum itself is interesting with many cars to look at. It probably takes about an hour or two to go through and then of course, there is the $$ gift shop. The museum in Modena is more about Enzo Ferrari himself. I also do not know much about test driving the cars from outside vendors other than I have seen them outside the museum area. Last time I was there, I think it was about 100 euros for 15 mins in the car with a co-driver.

As far as renting a car - I don't believe there are any major car rental companies in Bellagio (which you would need to do a one-way rental), however, there are many in Como. You just need to ferry down to Como - it is very easy.

I prefer www.viamichelin.com for directions, time, toll and gas costs.

Mentioned in this post
Bellagio
Bellagio
Lake Como, Italy
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Modena
Modena
Province of Modena, Italy
Como
Como
Lake Como, Italy
Vignola, Italy
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferrari Museums and Test Drive - Questions

Hi,

- to check routes Viamichelin is usually more reliable than google map.

- come to Maranello as a daily tour from Siena is a long (and tiring) trip. The idea to stop in Maranello during the transfer between Como to Siena is better. Is even better schedule a night close to Maranello (Vignola, Modena, Bologna) and have time to better enjoy the area.

- Right: there are two Ferrari museums.

- In the Ferrari Museum in Maranello you can do the track and factory tour (the museum is about 100m from the main factory entrance). All informations to schedule it are in this webpage: …ferrari.com/factory-and-fiorano-track-tour/ . In this tread there is a good report about this tour: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187801-i508-k6587…

- In Maranello, close to the museums, there are some agencies where you can rent a Ferrari. The cost will change a lot depending from which car you want to book and the kind of tour.

Mentioned in this post
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
Como
Como
Lake Como, Italy
Modena
Modena
Province of Modena, Italy
Bologna
Bologna
Province of Bologna, Italy
Elburn, Illinois
Level Contributor
201 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferrari Museums and Test Drive - Questions

thank you so much! I will take a look at all of this and start plotting our trip. I think we will try and leave Bellagio really early in the morning, ferry to Como and pick up rental car there and then stop in Maranello on the way to Siena. I wish we had another night to spend in the Maranello area but we do not :(

Mentioned in this post
Bellagio
Bellagio
Lake Como, Italy
Como
Como
Lake Como, Italy
Siena
Siena
Province of Siena, Italy
8. Re: Ferrari Museums and Test Drive - Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2015, 19:45
Get answers to your questions about Maranello