We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Bologna

London
Level Contributor
8 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips from Bologna

Hi,

I have seen several posts in the forums and am getting confused so need help with making a couple of decisions.

I am in Bologna with my partner for 4 nights. We're both keen to make this a food holiday. We're not thinking about going to museums or looking at palaces. This is just about eating, relaxing and enjoying the sights outdoors.. We'll be there in mid July.

First question -

Out of 4 cities we want to consider 2 day trips - Parma, Verona, Ravenna and Modena. Which would be the 2 to pick from these 4 keeping in mind our requirements?

Second question -

Should we consider one of those food tours (which appear to be pricey) or pick restaurant recommendations in each city?

Thank you so much for reading this post and please do help me out.

Grazie mille!

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips from Bologna

Verona is lovely and about 90mins by regular train, 50mins by fast train. It is a lovely place to just wander. There are many restaurants surrouding Piazza Bra (where the arena is) and at Piazza delle Erbe just a short walk away. It is a lovely town. Unfortunately I have not been to the other cities you are considering.........YET!

UK
Level Contributor
2,810 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips from Bologna

Given your requirements I'd suggest Parma and Modena. We've never taken an organised food tour but just enjoyed eating at the wonderful local restaurants.

UK
Destination Expert
for Sorrento
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips from Bologna

We took the Italian Days tour in April. Like you I was a bit apprehensive because of the price but am glad we took the plunge. Apart from learning about the food production I now know much more about what to look for when buying the products. Allesandro is very personable and puts his heart and soul into making sure you have a good time. The lunch (with wine/water/softdrinks included) was excellent and plentiful.

We have been to Bologna three times in the last three years and our favourite day trips are to the small towns of Ferrara and Modena, they have a good laid back and friendly atmosphere.

Edited: 17 June 2012, 15:17
London, United...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips from Bologna

Hi,

Ravenna is unlike any other city in Italy. It is jammed with very early Christian and Byzantine architecture. Much more interesting then Modena or Parma.

I know you have already named your 4 cities but these are also worth considering:

Ferrara is a small gem. Padova is a wonderful city with some great sights. Some trains to it take less than an hour. The average is about 1 hour 15 minutes.

5. Re: Day trips from Bologna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 June 2012, 03:05
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,399 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips from Bologna

I agree that Parma and Modena would be the obvious choices for a food tour. Verona is indeed a very beautiful city, more so that Parma or Modena. And I agree that Ferrara is a jewel. Ravenna is very interesting, for the Arian mosaics, but aside from being less convenient to get to, it doesn't have many charms other than the mosaics. (I haven't tried all the restaurants, of course.)

I would say that, given your interests, Parma is almost a must. Then I would add Verona or Ferrara, which will both have good restaurants, and many other things to see and do.

London
Level Contributor
8 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips from Bologna

I've settled on Parma and Ravenna after reading all the recommendations.

To all those who replied - Thank you so much! You've helped me considerably.

8. Re: Day trips from Bologna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2013, 10:46
Get answers to your questions about Bologna