We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week in italy including Bologna? Itinerary help needed!

England
Level Contributor
1,894 posts
425 reviews
Save Topic
A week in italy including Bologna? Itinerary help needed!

Hi,

I am looking to spend a week in Italy with my boyfriend in late may/early june. I have visited Rome, Venice, Florence etc before so they aren’t must see’s on this trip. We have both decided we would love to see Bologna as it is a little less touristy and has great food. However, we are having trouble revising an itinerary around this! We are unsure whether to just book a return to Bologna and figure plans later, or to do into bologna and out of somewhere else?

I was thinking to head north to Verona and somewhere else up that way, or we could go south and visit Florence on our way down. I am unsure how many places to aim to see in a week, as we don’t usually take 1 week vacations so it is very hard to not overplan! We are planning to use the train move around, we don’t want to drive as it will push costs up and this is our second holiday of the year so we do have to budget, although I am unsure on budget yet!

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on itineraries that take in Bologna in a week – we are interested in food, markets, some shopping, culture but not so much history/art/museums. We like to be independent and not take tours, and we are happy in big cities, small towns or countryside.

Thanks for your help!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,506 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: A week in italy including Bologna? Itinerary help needed!

When there is a trade fair on, hotel prices in Bologna can double or more. This is really the most important factor in where you should stay and when you should go.

I once stayed here, and liked it very much:

http://www.booking.com/hotel/it/hotelparadisebologna.it.html?aid=311091;label=hotel-80975-it-xsamy9Ki6hwQ5tGrGivzowS8459186544;ws=&gclid=CJnc1Pmozq8CFcEmtAodymgACQ

It's an easy walk to the Piazza Maggiore and also to the train station, so it would be convenient for day trips. The airport shuttle bus stops about 20 meters away from the hotel, before it gets to the train station, which is also very convenient.

Getting to Comacchio without a car is a bit of an enterprise, and I find it hard to believe it would take less time to get there than to Verona, because you'd have to take at the least one train and one bus; the buses are very infrequent except at the hours students are going and coming from school. Anyway, although I do like Comacchio, I wouldn't put it in the category of Verona , Rvenna, or Ferrara as worthwhile day trips from Bologna.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: A week in italy including Bologna? Itinerary help needed!

Bologna is definitily cheaper than Venice and more sustainable than Rome

Accomodation and more info :

www.bolognawelcome.com

burlingame
Level Contributor
98 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: A week in italy including Bologna? Itinerary help needed!

The highlight in Bologna other than the tortellini and bolognese sauce(very salty) is the Assinelli towers- 2 towers in the center of town that lean. Many years ago we climbed up the inside of the towers on a rickety, wooden stair. You aren't far from Pisa- many things to see in the Piazza dei Miracoli- including a climb up the tower itself. You could venture south to San Gimignano- what a quaint city with many towers and lots of shopping. Also Sienna is a great city to walk around. The home of the Palio. Don't leave out Genoa, or the Cinque Terre. To the Adriatic coast is Rimini and San Marino. Lots of ideas and very little time.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,506 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: A week in italy including Bologna? Itinerary help needed!

A day trip from Bologna to Pisa, Siena, or San Gimignano is getting a bit too far, and it wouldn't give you enough time to do Siena justice. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't get enough time in San Gimignano, either. Genoa or the Cinque Terre would just be out of the question.

One thing you shouldn't miss in Bologna is the Church of Santo Stefano, which is really a complex of several very ancient churches, sort of intertwined around one another. There's also a medieval house in the vicinity.

You might also want to walk up the hill to the Sanctuary of the Madonna di San Luca, which has a portico along the road leading up the hill. It's a bit of a climb.

Ponte Vedra Beach...
Level Contributor
38 posts
842 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: A week in italy including Bologna? Itinerary help needed!

Last year my wife and I spent 15 days in northern Italy and used Bologna as one of the hubs to stay in and venture out from. It was one of the best choices we ever made as city is thriving with things to do as it is an ancient city but also a college town; absolutely great and recommend spending a few days there. By all means take the Italian Days Food and Fun Tour. It was slightly expensive at 140 euros each but we still tell everyone how great it was (we have been to most off westen Europe over the past 15 years and this tour has to rank as one of our top three adventures). (info@italiandays.it or alessandro@italiandays.it) (Parmegiano reggianno factory, proscuitto di modena ham factory, aceto balsamico tradizionale di modena - great lunch with all the food and wine you want). On this trip we also went to Bellagio (Fabulously beautiful), Venice (Great romantic city), Verona (okay but skip Juliet's house and spend more time seeing the river and old churches- one day at the most), Padua (Nice city), Parma (not much there-very disappointing). Trains out of Bologna to each of these cities is fairly easy. Spend at least 2 days in Venice. We did this all on our own and the only tour we took was the food tour in Bologna. Check out my many reviews for more info on hotels, restaurants and things to see.

Edited: 26 April 2012, 02:24
Boston...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: A week in italy including Bologna? Itinerary help needed!

Ferrara is simply fabulous! What sets it apart from the other wonderful towns also close by is that everyone gets around by bike. You'll see older women biking with food from the market, teenagers holding hands while biking. It is ever so charming. You can even bike atop the walls on a very wide promenade. The town itself is a combination of Renaissance and Medieval buildings. There is also a castle, replete with moat and dungeons.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,506 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: A week in italy including Bologna? Itinerary help needed!

I know Ferrara has extensive walls, and the castle with a moat, but I didn't know you could bike on top of the walls. Those I've seen didn't seem wide enough.

Edited: 09 May 2012, 16:06
Boston...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: A week in italy including Bologna? Itinerary help needed!

Atop the walls is a wide promenade, lined with trees, similar to in Lucca. Because the masses haven't "discovered" Ferrara yet, you stroll, run, or bike among the Ferrarese people and other Italians for the most part. Delightful. . .

Vignola, Italy
Level Contributor
2,841 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: A week in italy including Bologna? Itinerary help needed!

Hi,

in Ferrara you can bike on the external walls. Of course not the castle walls!

20. Re: A week in italy including Bologna? Itinerary help needed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 18:46