We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Urbino

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
343 posts
29 reviews
Urbino

Conde Nast Traveler magazine listed Urbino as one of the 9 most beautiful Hilltop Towns in Italy. We will be in Bologna for a long stay and were wondering if it would be worth our while to make a day trip to Urbino? We will not have a car so it looks like we would have to take a train from Bologna to Pesaro and then a bus from Pesaro to Urbino. Any opinions or recommendations?

6 replies to this topic
Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
2,493 posts
32 reviews
1. Re: Urbino

Urbino is a lovely historical town which is definitely worth a visit, but you have plenty of things to see in Emilia Romagna as well. How many nights are you staying in Bologna? What are you going to visit within her region?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
343 posts
29 reviews
2. Re: Urbino

This will be our second visit to Bologna. On our first visit we spent one week. The only day trip was to Ferrara. This time we will be there for a month. So far we plan on visiting Parma, Modena, Ravenna and Rimini. We may also do return visits to Verona, Florence and Venice which we have visited in the past. Any other day trip suggestions? Should we include Urbino?

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
17,975 posts
43 reviews
3. Re: Urbino

Urbino is lovely but it's a bit far for a day trip, especially if you're trying to do this by public transit. It would be two hours on the train, then nearly an hour on the bus, plus transition time in between.

Since you'll be there for a month you might consider doing an overnight and also seeing San Marino or Assisi or Perugia while you're more or less in the area.

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
2,493 posts
32 reviews
4. Re: Urbino

Yes, probably it's better if you stay overnight in Urbino. And still there are many other day-trips you can do from Bologna, I'm thinking of Riola and the Rocchetta Mattei, Piacenza, the castles of the former Duchy of Parma and Piacenza, Faenza and Cesena, besides the places you've already mentioned.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
343 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: Urbino

Thanks for all the suggestions. Of those mentioned we have been to Assisi and Perugia. Will check out the others. Keep the suggestions coming. We want to make this vacation one of settling in and enjoying Bologna as well as a handful of day trips.

London
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
27 reviews
6. Re: Urbino

I agree with the others, Urbino is too far for a daytrip from Bologna.

Consider spending a few nights on the coast: Rimini, Riccione, Gabicce, Pesaro, etc.

I really like Urbino myself, but I do prefer smaller places: my favourite in the area is San Leo. Not sure how to get there without a car though: http://www.san-leo.it/en/index.html

The easiest one to get to is Gradara, a stone-throw by bus from Cattolica: http://www.gradara.org/english/

Finally Santarcangelo, which you can even visit in one evening (less than 10 minutes train from Rimini) and it has great restaurants: emiliaromagnaturismo.com/en/…

Reply to: Urbino
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Urbino