We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rossini festival 2017

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,625 posts
10 reviews
Rossini festival 2017

I am mulling over preliminary plans to attend the Rossini festival in August 2017 and can't find a lot of info on this or Pesaro in general, so I would appreciate answers and opinions from anyone who has been there. It looks like the festival is the second and third week of August, so I'm tentatively planning to spend one or two weeks in Pesaro, then on to Rome for a month or two so will probably fly in and out of Rome. I will be using public transportation. Here's what I would like to know:

Re the festival: based on this year's schedule, it looks like all three operas can be seen in one week with a concert at the end. Is this usually how it it is set up? The tickets are not available on-line, but must be requested by phone or email, and the deadline has passed for this season so there's no way to check if it sells out. How difficult is it to get tickets? Is a membership in their "Friends" helpful or necessary? Any suggestions for seating? I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest seats but I'm short and want to be able to see.

Re the town: it looks like a nice place on google street view. Perhaps I would do a language school during the day. The two that look most promising are Inlingua and Lingua Ideale and I would appreciate any opinions on either.

Any suggestions for which areas to look for an apartment that would be convenient to both of the theatres and the schools, or advice on rental agents or web sites? I couldn't find an official tourist site online; is there one? I'm not interested in the beach unless I end up with a lot of time to kill during the day. Do the beach clubs have day or weekly passes that can be bought on the spot, and any recommendations for one that would be quieter with fewer children, plus a pool that is at least 25 meters for swimming laps?

Bonus question: is it worse (crowding, weather, etc.) to be in Pesaro or Rome in August? I may re-think how much time to spend in either place.

Thanks for any advice about this, as well as anything I haven't thought of.

22 replies to this topic
Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
221 posts
157 reviews
21. Re: Rossini festival 2017

I am so glad, angejr29! I wrote my post hoping someone would find it useful because it seemed a bit difficult to find information.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
22. Re: Rossini festival 2017

I've just got back from my first visit to Pesaro Festival 2018 so a few thoughts which I hope might be of interest or help any future visitors.

I got my application in at midnight 00:00 on the opening day of postal booking and got everything I asked for.

One irritation is you don't get the rows or seat numbers until you pick the tickets up I like to look at these things in advance. Teatro Rossini is lovely, has had lots of restoration work done and apart from the drawback of poor toilet provision it's a delight. The Adriatic Arena is a barn, a pop or sports venue on the outskirts of Pesaro and free buses pick you up along the route they can be air conditioned depending on whether the driver bothers to switch it on and I found them comfortable and efficient. There are 4 each evening at 645, 655, 705 and 715 from the first stop which is down by the beach hotels there are 4 further stops along that road and one near the Teatro Rossini. Performances start at 8pm the latest finish was 23.25pm. The Adriatic needs to be looked at by the Festival, whilst they do a good job constructing a theatre space in about a quarter of the venue most of the seats are on the same level so if you're short you won't see much. They ought to add more raking. Also I found it hard to hear some of the singers in one of the operas whilst the other was fine. Programmes are expensive at 15 euros each 1 per opera but they contain scholarly and informative essays, don't forget Pesaro is the home of the organisation which is producing all the new scholarly editions. The 1 big mistake is there are no singer biographies which given there are a lot of younger

singers starting their careers alongside the stars is baffling. Hope this helps and happy to answer any questions. Staff in the theatres by the way were friendly, it's a truly international audience, lots of Americans and Japanese as well as Europeans.

Edited: 19 August 2018, 20:41
Reply to: Rossini festival 2017
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pesaro