We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Momo's Spiral Staircase

India
Level Contributor
150 posts
34 reviews
Momo's Spiral Staircase

Hi. I am contemplating booking a Vatican Museum Tour along with St. Peter's Basilica which would help in skipping the lines at both places. But I believe that I would miss Momo's spiral staircase (I am a hobbyist photographer) which is now exclusively used as a museum exit and all tour groups including the basilica would exit through a door leading into it. I have already mailed the tour company and they don't include this in the itinerary. As per info gleaned from the forums here and other places, the staircase is adjacent to the entrance. Would it be possible for me to make a beeline for it after going up the escalator and rejoin the tour group a few minutes later? Would there be any obstacles while attempting to do so? Can somebody give me directions as to how to go about it? Thanks.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
40,486 posts
18 reviews
1. Re: Momo's Spiral Staircase

You can't leave your tour group and then rejoin it. If you want to skip the lines, entry tickets will allow you to do that. Then you can take your time and photograph what ever you wish to.

donna

London, United...
Level Contributor
671 posts
64 reviews
2. Re: Momo's Spiral Staircase

No need to join a guided tour to skip the lines, just book tickets through the official Vatican website. You will be able to tour the museums at your leisure. No tickets are needed for St. Peter's as entry is free.

India
Level Contributor
150 posts
34 reviews
3. Re: Momo's Spiral Staircase

Thanks dbabe and Ogeog for your replies. Initially, I had planned to book online tickets from the official site and do the tour on my own. But in that case it was likely that I would be turned away from the door to the Basilica, requiring me to wait in presumably long lines. Therefore I thought of taking the tour which would have the added advantage of being more informative and efficient than I could possibly do on my own. But if I go DIY, can you please guide me how to go about avoiding long lines at St. Peter's?

London, United...
Level Contributor
671 posts
64 reviews
4. Re: Momo's Spiral Staircase

If you get there very early then the queues won't be too bad, but remember the security checks add to the wait.

London, United...
Level Contributor
671 posts
64 reviews
5. Re: Momo's Spiral Staircase

Sorry I should've also said St Peters opens at 7am - I'd probably aim to be there by then and book 9/10am tickets for the Vatican.

India
Level Contributor
150 posts
34 reviews
6. Re: Momo's Spiral Staircase

The problem is that I would be going with family and wife doesn't want to give up on her sleep on a holiday! Can't really go against that. Otherwise, early morning tour would have been the best for photography. Guess, have to compromise somewhere. Thanks for your inputs.

London, United...
Level Contributor
671 posts
64 reviews
7. Re: Momo's Spiral Staircase

I think your wife won't mind losing a bit of sleep once she's stepped into St Peters! You can always go back to the hotel for an afternoon nap.

8. Re: Momo's Spiral Staircase

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2017, 10:47