We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long do we allow to get from the Vatican to Colosseum?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
How long do we allow to get from the Vatican to Colosseum?

We will be arriving in Rome from Civitavecchia at San Pietro station to visit the Vatican, but also want to go to the Colosseum and Trevi Fountain/Pantheon. Unfortunately we have only one day from our cruise ship to see a little of Rome.

How long should we allow to get from the Vatican to Colosseum, and how far away is the nearest metro station to the Vatican? I don't think my Mum would manage to walk the whole distance between the two places ( I have looked at a map), but I read another post from someone who recommended the walk from Termini to the Colosseum. What do others think?

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,432 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long do we allow to get from the Vatican to Colosseum?

Last year I took a taxi (from the official rank) at Piazza Venezia to St. Peters Basilica, it was 7 or 8 Euro. I would think it would be the same in reverse.

From Piazza Venezia (the Vittorio Emanuele monument), the walk to the colosseum or Trevi Fountain and Pantheon is about 10 minutes (in opposite directions).

If you visit the Colosseum last, you can take the metro across from the Colosseum back to Termini.

Edited: 08 April 2013, 16:22
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long do we allow to get from the Vatican to Colosseum?

Thanks ocpony. How long was the taxi ride? I am trying to figure out the logistics of booking timed underground tour tickets at the Colosseum.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,432 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long do we allow to get from the Vatican to Colosseum?

The taxi was 10 minutes or so, it's dependant upon the traffic. If you're going from St. Peters to the Colosseum via taxi, I'm guessing it'll be 10 Euro +/- and less than 15 mins, again dependant upon traffic. I can't remember if its 2 km or 2 miles between the two.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,694 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long do we allow to get from the Vatican to Colosseum?

On bus 81 once the bus came, it took about 30 min to get from the Colosseum to the end of the line near the Vatican Museums. We were staying near the Colosseum in April 2011. Traffic to me in Rome looks "heavy" all day long except for early in the morning or later in the evening.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,179 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long do we allow to get from the Vatican to Colosseum?

why wouldn't you just take the Metro?

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
805 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long do we allow to get from the Vatican to Colosseum?

The quickest way is usually the metro from Ottaviano/St Peter's, changing at Termini. I make this journey several times a week. The taxi is around 12 euros depending on traffic and time of day.

It will be a very, very tiring day, is there absolutely no chance of you returning at a future date? I'm afraid you would have an endurance test rather than a enjoyable day, but good luck with it!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long do we allow to get from the Vatican to Colosseum?

Could you tell me please how long this takes on the Metro? Maps show me the stops but not the time in between!

We realize that it's going to be a long day, but are determined to enjoy whatever we can see in the time available. One day.... we hope to return, but for my Mum (who is approaching 80), this is likely her only opportunity to go to Rome and she is keen to fit in as much as we can! We have a sea day the following day to recover from our adventures :)

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
805 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How long do we allow to get from the Vatican to Colosseum?

It usually takes me around 20 minutes on the Metro, but hearing of the age of your mother, perhaps a taxi would be best. Please don't underestimate how tiring the museums can be, both physically and the old Stendhal syndrome - so much to take in!

Enjoy yourself whatever you decide.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How long do we allow to get from the Vatican to Colosseum?

Thanks for your help marina999uk. We might use the Metro in the morning, but perhaps take the taxi back to San Pietro for the train back to Civitavecchia in the afternoon. By then Mum will be looking for the easiest route with the least amount of walking.

Whatever we end up doing, we intend to have a fabulous day!!

10. Re: How long do we allow to get from the Vatican to Colosseum?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2014, 11:46