We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ticket Checks on regional trains in Lazio from 9/24

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Ticket Checks on regional trains in Lazio from 9/24

A Trenitalia press release announces enhanced ticket checks on regionale trains within the Lazio Region from September 24 through October 26.

Remember to purchase and then "validate" your regionale train paper ticket in the validation machines at the train station just prior to boarding.

Paper tickets for the reserved trains do not require "validation", nor do any of the electronic tickets.

fsnews.it/cms-file/allegati/fsnews/CS_Campag…

NY
Level Contributor
3,601 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ticket Checks on regional trains in Lazio from 9/24

Maybe not just Lazio, my newphew and 3 of his business associates got fined 50 euros each in Milan going to a trade show, close to Milan but just outside the fare zone. Their passports were demanded in case they refused to pay.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,708 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ticket Checks on regional trains in Lazio from 9/24

The economic crisis has all cities and towns scrambling for money, and tightening up on laxly enforced laws is a measure that's being taken up widely just now. I saw an article recently that reported that traffic fines had increased dramatically in the past few years.

The railroad is also trying to fill up its empty pockets. My daughter had to pay a €30 fine recently because she forgot to validate a regional train ticket. I was surprised it wasn't €50, which I thought was the amount of the fine.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ticket Checks on regional trains in Lazio from 9/24

I guess some people think they can just carry on as they do at home?

transportationnation.org/2012/…

Peter

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,708 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ticket Checks on regional trains in Lazio from 9/24

What was that supposed to refer to, Peter?

tucson, az
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ticket Checks on regional trains in Lazio from 9/24

>>Maybe not just Lazio, my newphew and 3 of his business associates got fined 50 euros each in Milan going to a trade show, close to Milan but just outside the fare zone. Their passports were demanded in case they refused to pay.<<

My father and I were astonished when we were on the Milan- Tirano train that no one came to check tickets until Lecco back in late July.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,708 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ticket Checks on regional trains in Lazio from 9/24

That's typical on Italian trains. From my home to Rome the trip (on a regional train) takes almost four hours, and there are fourteen intermediate stations. The tickets are normally checked twice during the trip. This is the reason regional tickets must be stamped, indicating the time of travel, and also the reason why the fine for not doing so is high. Otherwise, a lot of people who often travel on the same route would reuse the tickets if they happened not to be checked on a particular trip.

This summer, I took the train from Ladispoli (on the Civitavecchia line) to Rome. Four or five people were thrown off the train for reusing tickets that either hadn't been stamped or that were stamped on a different date. These were itinerant peddlers who sell their wares on the various beaches along the route. All of them claimed not to have money to pay the fine on the spot.

Rome
Level Contributor
242 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ticket Checks on regional trains in Lazio from 9/24

This is good news (whatever the background reasons for them doing it). I am happy every time there is someone checking the tickets (which happens very rarely). I commute every day on the regional trains in Lazio and I have a yearly ticket. In the more than 10 years I have lived here, using public transport for work 5 days a week, I have been checked between 5 and 6 times each year. That's not a whole lot. This year so far, only twice has an inspector asked me to show my ticket so this year it seems being legal doesn't pay off in my purse (fine is €50). Morally of course, it's another story. So I will continue to buy my ticket in any case.

NY
Level Contributor
3,601 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ticket Checks on regional trains in Lazio from 9/24

I have seen no one on T/A asking how to cheat on tickets, just sharing infomation on how to purchase and validate tickets or write the time and date when the validation machines do not work. Most trains are straigtforward, but sometimes the tickets get a little tricky especially for urban transport with different fare zones.

I took several trains in Sept and a conductor inspected every time except for a two hour regional from Milan to Verona - that train had open windows with the curtains flapping outside - kind of fun. I am not complaining here, just relating experience.

9. Re: Ticket Checks on regional trains in Lazio from 9/24

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 December 2013, 15:46