We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car Recommendation

philadelphia
1 post
Save Topic
Rental Car Recommendation

Hello,

My boyfriend and I would like to book a rental car for pick up in Rome to take to Florence.

Can anyone recommend a convenient, inexpensive rental company?

Thanks!

Elisa

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,655 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car Recommendation

I always use www.carhire3000.com they are a broker rather than a rental agency, they use the main companies like Hertz, Alamo, Budget etc. I have always found them to be the cheapest around.

If you aren’t aware, you have to be very careful driving in Italy, all cities and most towns have traffic restricted zones called ZTL’s where you will pick up a large fine if you enter them.

slowtrav.com/italy/driving/traffic_cameras_s…

…typepad.com/italy_beyond_the_obvious/2009/0…

The worst thing is that you may not realise you have entered the zone until you return to America and you may well have clocked up hundreds in fines. A lot of the experts here recommend not driving in Italy for that very reason, but if you do decide to go ahead and rent a car, make sure you are aware of the different signs for the ZTL’s and plot your route accordingly.

Good luck!

Edited: 07 August 2012, 20:24
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
47,285 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car Recommendation

Many people have use Autoeurope. They are a broker as well for all the majors.

http://www.autoeurope.com

Do check the advice given by ncmc above. These are indeed issues you should worry about, particularly when entering Florence proper.

Finally, you need to pick up an International Driving Permit from your local AAA to rent a car to drive in Italy.

3. Re: Rental Car Recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 11:48