We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vatican Dress Code

swansea
Level Contributor
107 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Vatican Dress Code

We have booked a tour for the Vatican and Sistine Chapel , is ok for shorts to be worn or trousers

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,127 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vatican Dress Code

Check this out:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums?ff=22&geo=187791&scope=2&q=vatican+dress+code&s=D

Rome
Level Contributor
372 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vatican Dress Code

As general rule no shorts or sleevelesses in the vatican, but I go there almost every day and I can see that they are quite tolerant for the museums, no tolerance instead in St. Peter's there you will have to wear prpper church dress code, so no shorts no slevelesses (you knees and shoulders must be covered)

Paola

swansea
Level Contributor
107 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vatican Dress Code

Thanks , wouldn't want to go there and be turned away

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vatican Dress Code

For women, knees and shoulders must be covered (and everything in between). This means that long shorts (below the knee) or Capri-length short trousers should be fine. For men, in theory, long trousers are required at the Basilica, although this is often overlooked (no guarantees, though!) and no other church in Rome requires long trousers for men.

When Paola says "church dress", she doesn't mean that you have to get dressed up.(Many Americans would interpret that as having to wear a dress or a necktie.) Tshirts, jeans,sandals, flip-flops: anything is fine as long as you're covered up enough.

Edited: 06 August 2012, 22:50
derbyshire
Level Contributor
94 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vatican Dress Code

When we went to buy our tickets we were told that it was just the sistane chapel that you had to cover up. This is because it is a holy place. But to me st peters is just as holy and it isn't such an issue there

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vatican Dress Code

You must have misunderstood something, sunshine, because St. Peter's Basilica is the strictest place of all. My teenaged nephew was turned away because his trousers came only to mid-calf, not all the way to the ankle. As I said before, they often allow men in with shorts that are below the knee, but you can't count on it. I have seen many people, both men and women, turned away because their tops didn't have sleeves. Women often put a scarf or shawl around their shoulders to cover their upper arms. Last year, on a very hot day, I saw a women remove the shawl after she was inside St. Peter's Basilica. Immediately a guard came over and told her to cover her shoulders or leave the Basilica.

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
9 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vatican Dress Code

The Sistine is not part of the Vatican Museums, though it is accessed from the museums--it is the church where the Pope is elected, and therefore the dress code will be enforced there just as it will be in St. Peter's. I have seen people turned away from both, and this summer I saw a woman asked to leave who had entered the church covered in a shawl that she later removed once inside.

derbyshire
Level Contributor
94 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vatican Dress Code

I put a small cardigan over my shoulders and long legging on. I wore this for the sistane chapel but in st peters people were walking round with bare shoulders. I wasn't mistaken I saw it with my own eyes. And also was told it was only the sistane chapel that you needed to be covered up.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,390 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vatican Dress Code

And in 1969, my friend and I had to take our hems down - our dresses were only just above our knees. As they were still not long enough, we were helped pin torn pieces of newspaper to our hems. We were given shawls for our shoulders - 2 little non-catholic back-packers from Oz

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vatican Dress Code

Believe me, Sunshine, it's not true that St. Peter's Basilica has laxer dress codes. Maybe the guards were all on coffee break when you were there. If you read number 6 and 7, you'll see reports of two incidents where people with bare shoulders were asked to leave the Basilica.

I've been in the Basilica so many times I've lost count, and it's always been so.

On the other hand, I've never seen anyone turned away at the Sistine Chapel once they had been admitted to the Vatican Museums. Having paid 15 euros to enter, often with the sole intention of seeing the Sistine Chapel, and having participated in the grueling march to the Chapel, a person would have a right to be very annoyed to be turned away at that point rather than before they paid to enter. I agree with Paola, who knows the Vatican very well, that the Museums doesn't check dress as rigidly as the Basilica.