We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Positano to Rome as quickly as possible!

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Getting from Positano to Rome as quickly as possible!

Does anyone know how much it would cost to get a driver to take me from positano to rome airport? Im travelling with three other people and we mucked up our flight times. The morning we leave positano we need to be at the airport at 1pm to fly out of Rome. Thought a driver may be the quickest/easiest way. Any recommendations/advice is much appreciated!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Positano to Rome as quickly as possible!

The drive will be at least 3.5 - 4 hours - possibly more, depending on traffic -

Personally, I've done that drive with a car service and they were great - cost 380 euros at the time; but, I wouldn't do it again. I would take a car service from Positano to Naples and grab the fast train to Rome which is only 70 minutes, then the Leonardo Express train from the train station to the airport in Rome - which takes about 30 minutes or so.

I wouldn't leave it so dependent on traffic. If this is in the summer, the Amalfi Coast road and getting to Naples can be clogged with traffic as well but at least you would bypass the autostrada traffic to Rome from Naples.

I would leave very very early in the morning given the potential for longer travel times than usual in high season.

But, honestly, for an international fight, which I am just presuming this is - you are better going the day before to Rome and spending the night. There have been coastal road closures on the Amalfi Coast from time to time and you never know when that could happen. Too big a risk for my own personal comfort level, though your comfort level may be different.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Positano to Rome as quickly as possible!

I myself would want to be in Rome the night before the flight.

If that's not possible, I agree with Momcat that it would be best to get the driver to take you to the train station in Naples. The high-speed train is faster than any car, and doesn't get stuck in traffic.

Is your flight at 1 PM or is that the time you have to be at the airport? If the flight is at 1, you should be at the airport by 10:30 or 11. I would want to take the 7:20 train from Naples, to allow for the unexpected. It should get you to the airport by 9:53, which is early, but if the train is late, it's an extra cushion.

If you just need to be at the airport by 1 PM, you could get a train at 9:50, which would have you there at 11:53.

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Positano to Rome as quickly as possible!

Thanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Positano to Rome as quickly as possible!

Just be careful at the Naples train station...it's all I have to say :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Positano to Rome as quickly as possible!

The Naples train station is fine - as anywhere, keep your belongings in sight and close to you and you will be just fine.

So much scaremongering on this forum yet so very few actual reports of any actual incidences of pickpocketing - yes, it can and does happen but being careful as you are anywhere you travel, including at home and you will be fine.

The Naples train station has a large glassed in cafe where you can get something to eat/drink and sit to wait for your train and watch the world go by.

6. Re: Getting from Positano to Rome as quickly as possible!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 09:45