We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Protestors at the Pantheon common??

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,472 posts
765 reviews
Save Topic
Protestors at the Pantheon common??

I was just curious...is it common for people to protest outside of the Pantheon?

It seems so disrespectful to protest outside of a church right on the steps of the church. I can understand if people have grievances but why protest in front of a church?

I was there today and there were people camped out and protesting. By the time I left, there were police from 3 different departments. Not sure where they were from. One unit had green uniforms, one blue and one black so obviously they were 3 different outfits.

I was just curious if it's common for locals to protest outside of the Pantheon or is this a one off event?

They seemed to be protesting against the possibility of Greece being kicked out of the EU.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,092 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Protestors at the Pantheon common??

Italy is experiencing serious economic troubles and every so often, there are protests. I've seen them in various parts of the city for various issues.

Personally, whether it is in front of a church or not, doesn't matter to me - if they went inside, I might take issue with it - but, outside in a popular square with a lot of people to give them attention, I don't find it troubling. But, that's just me....

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,472 posts
765 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Protestors at the Pantheon common??

Yeah, I know protests are common in many cities but most cities I've seen them they have been in front of government buildings, parks, etc. But NOT in front of churches.

They were literally on the steps of the church right in front of the door. About 20 feet away blocking the entrance. Tourists were just walking through them but they were literally on the steps of the church in front of the door.

I don't find protests troubling. Just when they are on the front door steps of a church.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Protestors at the Pantheon common??

It was a protest, according to Corriere della Sera, of students, people working without contracts and activists, and it was against the proposed changes in the labour laws in Italy. They chose the Pantheon, according to one spokesperson, because they are "against the monotheism of the markets and of finance and for the polytheism of rights". The fact that the Pantheon is now a church seems not to have concerned them.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,472 posts
765 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Protestors at the Pantheon common??

Thanks Zerlina. I didn't stop to ask what it was about. It just seemed strange the location of it. I just assumed it was about Greece as there was a big banner literally hanging from two pillars of the Pantheon that said, "EuroZone - Don't eliminate Greece".

I got a great photo of it. I'll post it later on Trip Advisor in the Pantheon section.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,131 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Protestors at the Pantheon common??

Zerlina - I think you just missed the whole point of choosing the Pantheon. ;-)

carolinas
Level Contributor
223 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Protestors at the Pantheon common??

We're with you MC. Our hotel was on Piazza della Rontondo and there were 2 very long protests there during our 7 nights. We loved it. Great to see citizens mobilizing for change We waded into the crowd and talked to folks. One protest was against animal cruelty which a local told us was a real issue in the rural parts of the country. The other was anti mafia in the aftermath of the young girl killed in a bombing.

And will add, if you're looking for a piazza to hold your protest , and need to find one without a church in Rome??? Good luck.

Frank

Jackson, Mississippi
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Protestors at the Pantheon common??

It does seem strange to protest there but what a nice location if I was camping out that's the spot for me, oh I miss Europe so much

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
970 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Protestors at the Pantheon common??

@Francis...

We must have been in Rome at the same time because we saw the same protests as you. We stayed at the Albergo del Senato and could look out of window to watch the goings-on.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Protestors at the Pantheon common??

A church seems like a fitting place. Didn't Jesus often protest for a worthy cause?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Protestors at the Pantheon common??

The protesters will protest where they'll get more exposure and more audience and often...where they can be more annoying it seems. I remember once going to visit Piazza Navona for a nice peaceful afternoon and find some paintings to buy as souvenirs...when instead I encountered a communist party demonstration in all its glory. It nearly ruined my day! I don't think the artists there made a singe sale that day as the whole experience was too obnoxious to bear for tourists.