We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

attractions expensive??

ILLINOIS
Level Contributor
516 posts
203 reviews
Save Topic
attractions expensive??

We would like to visit Italy in the spring. Going to Rome, Florence, Pompeii and other major cities. Are alot of the main attractions, museums etc.. very expensive? Can anyone just give me a ballpark figure or roughly how much things are etc??

I know this is kind of a broad question, but just trying to get an idea on how much we would need for just attractions alone. Will be staying for a two week trip possibly.

Thank you

Illinois

Taylorsville, Utah
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: attractions expensive??

When I was there, most things were 8 to 15 euros. I don't consider that to be all that expensive. Churches for the most part are free and contain great art. The fountains are free and you can see the Forum and Colosseum from the outside if you don't want to pay The metro is cheap as are buses. Taxis are not too expensive but take a registered cab. The others are rip offs. You can walk most places. Food can be as cheap or as expensive as you choose. Menus are posted outside and you can get a pizza or pasta for as little as 10 euroes. Breakfast should be free and included in the hotel fee.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,993 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: attractions expensive??

How can anyone give you a "ballpark figure" without knowing WHICH attractions you want to visit?? If you want to visit a lot of them, there are various combination tickets that would reduce cost, but which wouldn't be worthwhile if you were only visiting 1 in each city. Anyway, you can easily research entry costs yourself by just googling each of the museums/ monuments you want to visit in Rome, Florence and "other major cities" concerned!

For the only attraction I can identify from your question, it costs €11 to enter Pompeii: www.pompeiturismo.it/index.php…

Edited: 07 June 2012, 00:14
Taylorsville, Utah
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: attractions expensive??

Many of the attractions will take you all or most of a day so they are a pretty good value. Consider buying the Roma Pass which will save you soe money.

ILLINOIS
Level Contributor
516 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: attractions expensive??

thank you Romelover for your input.

San Diego
Level Contributor
21 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: attractions expensive??

I second the 8 - 15 euro range. Some smaller sights are even less, and of course you'll pay more if you want to get a guide at any of the attractions.

I'm not sure why some people seem to be so angry in their replies. You clearly asked for a ballpark figure, and that's pretty easy to give.

Good luck with your trip, and I hope that earlier reply hasn't discouraged you from posting future questions on here. There really are a lot of people wanting to provide others with genuine help.

ILLINOIS
Level Contributor
516 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: attractions expensive??

thank you matt.. .. sometimes when looking up information for bigger travel areas such as this, things can seem a bit overwhelming. Yes, i agree. Its a simple message board, people dont have to get so "ugly" on here and be sarcastic!

Taylorsville, Utah
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: attractions expensive??

It was a legitimate question. Don't let rude people put you off.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: attractions expensive??

There are some great museums and archaeological sites in Rome that actually cost very little. People may think they're second-tier museums because they cost so little, but they really have world-class art.

The Barberini Gallery is one of the greatest museums in Rome, with masterworks of Italian painting from the medieval to the early modern periods. 7 euros.

National Roman Museum, really four different museums with a single entrance ticket, which is only €7 and is good for three days, so you can visit all of them. The only one I haven't seen is Cryta Balbi. Of the other three, my favorites are Palazzo Massimo alle Terme, and the Museo delle Terme di Diocleziano. The museum in Palazzo Massimo has many masterpieces of ancient Greek and Roman sculpture, as well as amazing ancient Roman frescoes and mosaics. At the Museo delle Terme di Diocleziano, you can see a great hall, to the left of the main entrance, which was once part of the ancient baths constructed by the Emperor Diocletian. In this hall you can also see some very well preserved painted Roman tombs, which were brought here from elsewhere. The main museum has many other ancient Roman artifacts, as well as a very interesting exhibit about the early development of writing.

The Villa Farnesina is a Renaissance villa, set in a lovely garden, which has amazing frescoes on the walls, including some by Raphael. An unbelievable bargain at 5 euros.

The Corsini Gallery is right across the street from the Villa Farnesina, and has a small but excellent collection of paintings, both Italian and other European. 5 euros.

The Baths of Caracalla are one of the most impressive archaeological sites in Rome, and cost only 6 euros. The ticket is also good for two other ancient Roman sites: the tomb of Cecilia Metella, and the Villa of the Quintili.

These museums have the advantage, other than price, of being pleasantly uncrowded, even in the height of tourist season.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,485 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: attractions expensive??

And, one of my faves, the small but delightful Museo de Roma in Trastevere - I think about 5 euros.

If you have a recent (very recent) guidebook, prices will be listed but, things can change, and you can double check a site's website to confirm the price. A guidebook is pretty essential anyway to have while there, so you may find it very helpful and informative.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: attractions expensive??

There's a recently-issued list of prices for many of the sites and sights here...

romapass.it/doc/sitiAderentiCostoBiglietti_e…

It's the "Prezzo Intero" column for most of us, sadly... although, aside from where and when places have those non-avoidable special exhibitions, relatively few cost over 10 Euro ?

Some tickets cover several sites, and - as mentioned already - one that's great value is the combined ticket "Museo Nazionale Romano"... for 7 Euro you get into all of the first four places shown here:

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/places_rome

... where, like in many of the others, they've some wonderful stuff!

One useful freebie - for what's-on information, and much other current stuff - is the handy monthly magazine that's given away in hotels etc, "A Guest in Rome". To download a copy from their website, start here and click on the picture of its cover, over to the right of the screen:

http://www.unospitearoma.it/en.html

Peter