We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome-Naples-Pompeii one day trip by Viator.com

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
Rome-Naples-Pompeii one day trip by Viator.com

Hi there,

I am staying in Rome for 3 days in July 2012 (Canadians). We want to take Naples - Pompeii one day trip from Rome by Viator.com. Did anyone take this tour? Is the bus kids friendly (motion sickness / restrooms on the bus / stops ???). Can I book with Viator now and cancel later? Are they flexible? Or it is better to book last minute? Did it happen to anyone that viator trip was sold out?

Any suggestions / info are welcome!

Thanks!

Svit

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,841 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome-Naples-Pompeii one day trip by Viator.com

If you look under Top Questions, in the upper right hand side of this page, you will see directions on how to travel from Rome to Naples and/or Pompeii. It is very straightforward, and probably cheaper than a tour.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,679 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome-Naples-Pompeii one day trip by Viator.com

Viator is an agency, not a tour operator. The quality of the tour will depend on which company is the actual operator.

Reports about these tours indicate that many of them spend a lot of time at restaurants and cameo factories.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome-Naples-Pompeii one day trip by Viator.com

Haven't tried either type but, from what I've read, their "small group" tours may be more attentive to the needs of individual passengers - although, at some €205 (for adults and children alike?), they're hardly cheap...

viator.com/tours/…d511-2635POM

With only 3 precious days in the capital, I wonder if it would work better - and be less tiring/risky - if you visited Rome's ancient neighbour, its former port, Ostia Antica, instead?

Try these photos - from our visits to the ruins, the adjacent medieval borgo and the beach at nearby Ostia Lido...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/ost_antic

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/ostia_bracc

The site is within the boundaries of modern Rome, and needs only a 1 Euro bus/train ticket - taking perhaps an hour of local travel to get there!

For more details, try: http://www.ostia-antica.org/touristguide.pdf

Whilst it's hardly a substitute for Pompeii....

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/slides_pompeii

... the trip would be many hours shorter - and you've so much else to see whilst in Rome...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/places_rome

Peter

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome-Naples-Pompeii one day trip by Viator.com

Thank you so much everyone for your answers and suggestions, this is such a great help! I really appreciate all your comments:)

I know that tour excursions are expensive and they are not exactly what I want, but I am afraid that we would get lost somewhere in Naples on our own … However our preference is to take a train and to go explore Naples and Pompeii ourselves (we are not shoppers, we are interested in sightseeing only). Is it safe to go with children? Will we go by with only English? Do we need to learn basic Italian?

How can you get to Naples downtown and Pompeii from the train station, can we get a taxi? Or it is too far for a taxi...

Basically my biggest concern is safety and ability to communicate with Italians… Any comments on this?

Thanks again!

Svit

Thanks again

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome-Naples-Pompeii one day trip by Viator.com

Good for you! We've lived down near Naples for almost a decade now, and go there for anything that can't be done on our little island - without incident, to date...

It's a fascinating, busting, wonderful place - and you'll know you're alive!

Much of the obvious stuff has been dealt with in the "Top Questions" list you'll find on the opening page of the Naples forum:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g187785-i421-Nap…

To go with that, try the various maps of the city, and Pompei, available here....

http://www.unicocampania.it/index.php?lang=en

.... some photos of mine....

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/mainlynaples

..... and perhaps have a look through the April/May edition of the city's magazine for visitors, for places and things that may particularly interest you (watching out for their odd pattern of closing days, if making a list!):

http://www.inaples.it/eng/quinapoli.htm

Plenty of people will speak English - you'll be surprised!

Peter

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome-Naples-Pompeii one day trip by Viator.com

Too soon to see all the options for the trains in July, but this - 'snapped' yesterday - for someone asking about the journey back to Rome in the late afternoon in a few days time - may give you an idea of the range of speeds and prices available in both directions!

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/143008228

Peter

Edited: 01 May 2012, 22:55
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome-Naples-Pompeii one day trip by Viator.com

Peter, Thank you so much! You opened my eyes... so great to get "inside info" on Naples. The website with your photos is very nice – I loved the pictures. Will go for more info there later tonight . Will also check out the other links.

I cannot express how much I appreciate everyone’s help: it seemed almost impossible to do this trip on my own, but now I can see my options.

Thanks again!

Charles City, Iowa
Level Contributor
264 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome-Naples-Pompeii one day trip by Viator.com

I think you may be trying to do too much in a day (especially with kids). Pompeii is a full day and Naples is another. Take morning train from Termini to Naples, switch to Circumvesuviana (downstairs) to Pompeii Scavi stop, and you're right at the entrance to Pompeii. You will have all afternoon to wander Pompeii, and be back in Rome in time for dinner. If you decide you must include Naples, check out Rick Steves for walking tour of Naples (within walking distance of train station). Personally, I'd save Naples for your next trip.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Rome-Naples-Pompeii one day trip by Viator.com

Thank you so much Judi :) Great advice!

This is exactly what I need: step by step detailed instructions on getting to the sites in Naples and Pompeii. The reason I was thinking about taking a tour from Rome to Naples-Pompeii is that It seemed to be almost impossible to get to the sightseeing places without speaking Italian. My biggest concern is to get lost in unknown city and not being able to communicate... Everyone is so helpful on this forum, I am getting confident that we can do the trip on our own now…

I checked out the website that sells tickets for the train and found out that return trip Termini Rome – Naples - Termini Rome is about 100 euro per person, is that reasonable? Are there special prices for kids (16 and under) and seniors (74 year old)?

After checking out different forums, here is my plan…I would appreciate if you could check it out and let me know where I am wrong…

When we arrive to Naples train station, we can go for a little walk around Naples and have lunch there (there are restaurants in walking distance from a train station, right?). Then we go back to the main Naples station, follow the signs to the Circumvesuviana (downstairs). We buy tickets there for the trip to Pompeii (destination: Pompeii Scavi stop). People say it takes about 25 minutes (about 18 stops) and is about 10 euro per person return trip. The Pompeii Scavi station is only about 100 meters from the ruins. There are restaurants nearby and souvenir stalls. Do we buy tickets to go to ruins? What is the price? Is there a website where I can check out schedule and prices for Naples- Pompeii Scavi stop?

Could you please correct me if I misunderstood anything and there are flaws in my plan?

You help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks again everyone for your help 

Svit

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rome-Naples-Pompeii one day trip by Viator.com

With fares on the slowest trains starting at only €10.50, there's no need to pay quite that much!

Try looking in the....

"Top questions about ROME"

... at top right of this page for some guidance on transport choices, and other assistance with the trip.

Peter

Edited: 06 May 2012, 22:08