We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ostia Lido Beach tips

Rydal, PA
Level Contributor
16 posts
38 reviews
Ostia Lido Beach tips

After several days of walking around Rome in very hot weather, we decided to go to the beach for some R and R. Took the advice of other TripAdvisor members and it worked. Just wanted to share some tips.

Although the beach is technically 30 minutes from Rome, it took us 1.5 hours door to door. It was a pleasant ride, all on public transportation and very worth it.

We took a bus from our apartment to the Metro B line heading toward Laurentina. From there: get off at the Pyramide station. At the top of the stairs, turn left and head toward the Roma Porto San Paulo station. Take the train (use the same ticket that you used for the bus and metro, it's good for 75 minutes). Get off at Lido Centro. From there, take the #62, 05 or 15 bus to the Paolo Tuscanelli street, which goes along the beach. We asked the driver to let us know when we were at the "ingresso libera" which is the free beach. He happened to drop us at Faber Beach, but there are others. (Not much English spoken here, bring an Italian phrase book).

We had a very nice day. The beach was crowded, but clean. We paid 5Euro for an umbrella. We just used our towels to lie on, but we could have rented chairs. There was a free bathroom (bring toilet paper and hand sanitizer) and many little restaurants for sandwiches.

The funniest thing to us was the number of people who walk along the beach selling everything that you can imagine: rafts, bathing suits, toiletries, jewelry. My daughter and I each bought a bathing suit for 3 Euro! We were able to walk along the beach, even passed the non-free beaches. It's all the same sand and ocean, but if you want a cabana and matching umbrellas, then you pay more. We had a nice day and then reversed the directions to go home. Hope this helps.

56 replies to this topic
Passo Corese, Italy
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
22 reviews
31. Re: Ostia Lido Beach tips

"[...] or it it good because its close to Rome?"

Heck, Ostia is actually a district of Rome... and as such it itsn't really small and certainly not that charming. If you're looking for such a place I'd suggest you to look for it in the city's historical centre, and then commute to the beach via suburban train.

Edited: 15 March 2015, 17:31
Sheffield
Level Contributor
369 posts
33 reviews
32. Re: Ostia Lido Beach tips

Ok,

I'll be in Rome this week and the weather looks great. Will the beaches have faculties available this early in the season?

Any advice on where would be best?

Thanks.

1 post
33. Re: Ostia Lido Beach tips

Thank you for the nice hint! We followed the instructions except from Lido Centro we went on foot to the beach. It took only about 10 minutes to walk there.

34. Re: Ostia Lido Beach tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 March 2016, 03:05

Italy
Level Contributor
8,904 posts
35. Re: Ostia Lido Beach tips

Well since this has been bumped.

Buying anything from a street vendor is a risk. A few years back on this coast many toddlers and slightly older children ended up with chemical burns. The beach towels their parents had bought were dyed with toxic dyes. Not a problem for the adults did nasty things to young children. The kids toys had lead paint or were made from toxic plastic.

I'm not sure why stolen TVs are bad but stolen other things aren't. It's well known that people steal high value things like sunscreen to resell.

On the issue of tax paying. Are you getting a receipt?

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
13,916 posts
746 reviews
36. Re: Ostia Lido Beach tips

When visiting a country respecting its laws should be a little important too, and buying any stuff from hawkers is illegal. If one wants to support workers the best way is supporting those who have their business in order, managing a shop or a stand with commercial licence and paying their taxes.

airdrie
Level Contributor
3 posts
117 reviews
37. Re: Ostia Lido Beach tips

Just wondering if this area is good to stay for a few days, we are considering one night in Rome centre and then heading to lido de ostia for 3 nights as we love a sea view.

Den

Le Marche, Italy
Level Contributor
37,731 posts
29 reviews
38. Re: Ostia Lido Beach tips

The beaches are not private. Anyone can swim or walk in front of one of the private establishments.

Apart from the lockers, the private establishments also have showers and dressing rooms. There may be some bars at the private beaches that let you change in their bathrooms; I don't know.

The cost of a private establishment depends on what you get. You can get a chair, an umbrella, the locker, a hot shower, and other things, all of which have a separate cost.

I don't think the public beaches are unsafe, but keep your valuables with you at all times.

Dover, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,932 posts
93 reviews
39. Re: Ostia Lido Beach tips

I realize that the initial posting was in 2011, but it sounded interesting to try .

Are the bus # references in the initial posting still valid in" Get off at Lido Centro." From there, take the #62, 05 or 15 bus to the Paolo ?

Thanks

Edited: 05 March 2016, 03:02
Le Marche, Italy
Level Contributor
37,731 posts
29 reviews
40. Re: Ostia Lido Beach tips

I just noticed a mistake in my earlier post:

"There may be some bars at the private beaches that let you change in their bathrooms; I don't know."

I meant to say "at the public beaches". The private establishments have changing rooms.

Reply to: Ostia Lido Beach tips
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted