We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just bought Mini Fare Train Tix

maryland
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Just bought Mini Fare Train Tix

i know people have had problems with credit cards and wondering about prices, etc but we just purchased 2 tickets for

April 15 Rome to Florence 2nd class - $99

April 17 - Florence to Venice 2nd class - $84

April 19 Venice to Rome 1st class - $212

colorado
Level Contributor
124 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Just bought Mini Fare Train Tix

Yea sucees. was able to purchase mini fares from rome-florence-vencice-rome for 108Euro. Thank u all for your great advice.

colorado
Level Contributor
124 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Just bought Mini Fare Train Tix

Success, Was able to buy the mini tickets. rome-florence-venice-rome for 108Euro. Thanks for the great advice.

Johannesburg, South...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Just bought Mini Fare Train Tix

I went on line Sunday on the trenItalia site and signed up on their Customer Site - booked 2 Mini Tickets for Rome - La Spezia, everything went through, my credit card was debited yet I have nothing reflecting against my account, no booking info, no email confirmation - any ideas? I have tried to contact Trenitalia so far no response? Is it better to get my credit card reversed and start again?

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Just bought Mini Fare Train Tix

TOMv, those don't sound like very big discounts. In fact, I don't see very many big discounts any more. I did some clicking around in late June, and I don't see any €9 tickets at all. The biggest discounts I saw were about 25%.

I wouldn't buy a Mini fare ticket if the discount were only 10% or so, because the tickets are so much less flexible.

Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
546 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Just bought Mini Fare Train Tix

bvlenci I thought the same initially, but TomV's post is from March 2011 so its wayyyy out of date . . .its been bumped up by Tracy L who has had a booking issue with Trenitalia. :)

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Just bought Mini Fare Train Tix

Oh well, it's still true that I don't see any really big discounts any more. I chose random days in June, morning, midday, and evening for the Rome-Florence and Rome-Venice routes, and the smallest fare I saw on the Rome-Florence route was €29, and €59 for Rome-Venice. These are still good discounts, but there weren't many of them. Most of the Mini fares I saw were fares that wouldn't tempt me.

The famous €9 fares, at least on these routes, seem to have disappeared.

Edited: 05 May 2012, 15:12
chennai
Level Contributor
582 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Just bought Mini Fare Train Tix

@bvlenci

I booked trenitalia tickets in march 2012 for our April 2012 italy trip. Here is what we paid for:

Overnight train from frankfurt to milan - 52 euros per person

Milan to Venice - 19 euros pp (regional train)

Venice to Rome - 9 euros pp (eurostar train, a world away from the regionales!)

R

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Just bought Mini Fare Train Tix

I know that these kinds of fares were fairly common not long ago, but I really am not seeing anything like that any more.

chennai
Level Contributor
582 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Just bought Mini Fare Train Tix

Hmm, perhaps the very cheap mini fares are not available - or may be sold out lightning fast - during the summer months which is high tourist season?

R

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Just bought Mini Fare Train Tix

I'm sure they still have some, because they're still promoting them. Probably they're available only on less popular routes or at very odd times of the day.

Tourists are nowhere near the majority of train riders, and the summer isn't peak season for train usage.

Edited: 06 May 2012, 22:50