We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the best neighborhood to stay in and why?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
616 posts
3 reviews
2 helpful votes
What's the best neighborhood to stay in and why?

Rome is big. Any suggestions on what neighborhood to stay in and why would be greatly appreciated. We will be in Rome for 3 nights in October, arriving by train and departing by air. Thanks.

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
34 reviews
26 helpful votes
1. Re: What's the best neighborhood to stay in and why?

Around Campo de'fiori. Nightlife and food (backstreets anyway) in th eevenings, you can walk to most destinations by day. Buy your own lunch from a stall in the morning and sit and picnic elsewhere.

Perfect.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
7 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: What's the best neighborhood to stay in and why?

For tourists, the best neighborhoods to stay in are those that are most central to sights as they allow you more time to sightsee, the option of returning to your hotel as needed (to rest, drop bags, siesta, change for dinner, walk home safely very late at night, etc.), and save money on cabs and transport. Further from the centro, you can find more inexpensive hotels that can be convenient, too, if they are near public transport like metro stops or buses. It depends on what you can or want to afford. For convenience, the Navona/Pantheon/Campo dei Fiori areas are best, and they tend to be safest too because they are well-populated with resaurants and tourists all hours. The Steps, in my opinion, is not a good zone to stay in because, although central, you will find them packed with tourists and shoppers. Hope this helps somewhat.

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
6 reviews
57 helpful votes
3. Re: What's the best neighborhood to stay in and why?

I agree with the above. You will find so much of what you want to see and do is directly in the area of Campo/Navona/Pantheon and everything else is within a 20 minute walk away. An excellent hotel that was recommended to me and that I booked for my april stay is in this area. Check it out and see if it might be what you are looking for - well located, reasonably priced, good amenities, safe and good service.

Hotel Smeraldo (www.smeraldoroma.com)

Euro 125/Double-bath/no breakfast

*Note: I got a special rate offered to readers of the Rick Steves Guidebooks. If you don't have this, get it! It is the most comprehensive and down-to-earth book there is. He updates annually so you can feel good the info is timely. He recommends restaurants and hotels that are not usually found elsewhere and are good "hidden secrets." His tips on transportation and attractions are invaluable. For the cost of the $10 USD GUide to Rome, I got a Euro 25 discount on my room at the Smeraldo. For 3 nights, I save about $100 USD. It doesn't have glossy photos or pictures but the info is all there. You won't regret having it.

Hope this helps!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
185 posts
4. Re: What's the best neighborhood to stay in and why?

The Trastevere area of Rome is our favorite. Old Roman neighborhood with quaint cobblestone streets & alleys with numerous dining options @ your doorstep. Convenient walking distance to most major sights, ie. the Vatican, Forum, Colosseum, Pantheon. Our hotel of choice is the Santa Maria. The train station is a short taxi ride away & an airport transfer service can be arranged through the hotel (~ 50Euro). Ciao!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
616 posts
3 reviews
2 helpful votes
5. Re: What's the best neighborhood to stay in and why?

Thanks everyone - I'll begin my search by checking out the suggested hotels/neighborhoods.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
205 posts
6. Re: What's the best neighborhood to stay in and why?

When my sister and I vistited in November we stayed in an apartment in the Campo de Fiore area. This was a great location for us. There was always a nice crowd of people in Campo, as well as in Piazza Navona, which is very close by. There are numerous restaurants and cafes in that area, as well as two Blue Ice gelato places. The 113 (or 116?) bus runs through Campo and that is the bus you take to get to Borghese Gallery (if you plan on visiting. That area is also extremely close by to Vittorio Emanuelle, one of the major streets, which has a bus stop for pretty much anywhere you would want to go.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
616 posts
3 reviews
2 helpful votes
7. Re: What's the best neighborhood to stay in and why?

Everyone's mentioning the Campo de'fiori neighborhood, but I don't see it on the list of neighborhoods when sorting Rome hotels - should I be looking under another name?

london
Level Contributor
38 posts
12 reviews
14 helpful votes
8. Re: What's the best neighborhood to stay in and why?

try romeby.com campo is listed there. des