We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cosmos Tour-Splendors of Italy

Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cosmos Tour-Splendors of Italy

I'm taking the Splendors of Italy tour that Cosmos offers in mid Feb. and would like to hear from anyone who has taken this tour. What were the hotels like? Any tips on do's and don'ts would be appreciated.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
257 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cosmos Tour-Splendors of Italy

Hi,

We did the cosmos tour in 2005.We enjoyed it because we saw a bit of everything.all the hotels were good but not central,this wasnt a problem as they took you everywhere.I cannot remember the name of the tour but we stayed in rome,venice,florence and did a weeks stay in sorrento.Which places are you staying?? I may ba able to tell you more.

Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cosmos Tour-Splendors of Italy

Our first 2 nights are at the Fleming Hotel in Rome. The next night at the Moderno in Siena, followed by the Europa in Florence, the Poppi in Venice and a final night at the Princess in Rome. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Glasgow, Scotland
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Cosmos Tour-Splendors of Italy

My friend and I are hoping to go the same tour as you in September. I would be very pleased to have an honest report from you before making our final reservation. Some of the hotels on the tour have had not very encouraging reviews on line.

I look forward to reading your reply.

pensioner 68

Australia
Level Contributor
185 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cosmos Tour-Splendors of Italy

I did Italian Masterpiece in Sept 2005, and I was extremely happy with Cosmos.

The hotels we stayed at were 3* & 4* and they were all very spotless, which to me is very important.

Some of the hotels were central and others were a bit out, but if you participate in all the optional excursions, you won't have anytime to venture off on your own.

We found doing a tour was a good way to get orientated with Italy, and this August we are going back, and visiting places which we liked the best.

If you want anymore information, just ask.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
257 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cosmos Tour-Splendors of Italy

I cannot remember the names of the hotels but they were all decent hotels.Take an alarm clock as you are up early.One morning we arranged for the hotel to give us an alarm call, The phone rang we jumped out of bed and got ready,later when we checked to see how we were doing for time we found it was only 4.am,it must have been a wrong number call,We laugh now.

If you have more than one day in venice you can take a water bus to burano or murano,i found them very nice places and not as busy as venice.

The guide also arranged for a gondola so it is cheaper,a must for your first visit.

They also offered a night out in rome ,a meal with music/opera and audience participation,if its still available try it ,it was a great fun night out.

UAE
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cosmos Tour-Splendors of Italy

Hi I knew that you took this tour. pls tell me more about your experience with cosmos. was it good ? the hotels ? night life ? transportations ? i am taking the same tour next month with cosmos. how much money do a person need per day only for food and night life.

thanks in advance.

Massachusetts
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cosmos Tour-Splendors of Italy

Taking the Oct 14th tour - our first trip abroad - and I have a questions about the internet. My husband wants to take his laptop but I question the security of doing that when I read some of the hotel reviews. Is it safe to leave a laptop in the hotel when we are not there, such as at dinner? Is it safe to leave it on the bus when off the bus for tours? If we leave it at home, are there internet cafes so we can keep in touch with family in the states?

Thanks. I have learned a lot from all of your posts.

Margaret

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cosmos Tour-Splendors of Italy

Margaret it would be easier to get a cell phone and call your family. A lap top is bulky and difficult to store in your hotel room. No one can say it will not be pinched from the bus.

I would leave it at home.

canada
Level Contributor
7,292 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cosmos Tour-Splendors of Italy

There are internet cafes if you care to ask. Some hotels may offer free internet as well.

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cosmos Tour-Splendors of Italy

Almot all hotels charge for the use of the internet. They charge by the minute. You go to the front desk and sign up and are given the time you pay for. It is expensive so you have to be quick off the mark when using the computers.