We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excavations of St. John Lateran at the Vatican

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
6 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Excavations of St. John Lateran at the Vatican

Has anyone taken the tour offered by the Vatican of the excavations of St. John Lateran? It is expensive at 150 Euros per person, but it looks very interesting. The friend I am traveling with would like to do it. But she is fairly claustrophobic and she is concerned that it might feel closed in and crowded. Does anyone have any advice???

Thanks. Sally from Oregon

California
Level Contributor
613 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excavations of St. John Lateran at the Vatican

I have never heard of this and am looking forward to seeing who has. 150E sounds steep....

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excavations of St. John Lateran at the Vatican

on the Vatican tour web site it indicates that the 150E price is for a group 'up to' 25 persons -- it is a specially organized tour

no idea what there is to see under St. John Lateran

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Excavations of St. John Lateran at the Vatican

This is a brief description of what there is to see:

Basilica di San Giovanni in Laterano, piazza San Giovanni in Laterano

Guided tours under the Lateran Baptistery

A tour of the archaeological area under the Basilica of St John Lateran includes the remains of an ancient frescoed house and the Castra of the Equites Singulares, that is to say the barracks where the emperor's horseback bodyguards resided. The tour also includes a visit of an imperial baths complex under the Lateran Baptistery.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excavations of St. John Lateran at the Vatican

That sounds very interesting. Let's try to rustle up a group of 25.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Excavations of St. John Lateran at the Vatican

I have a contact who organizes roughly 90 min. tours of the Basilica di San Giovanni in Laterano excavations with a guide. The full price is €15 a person, but group rates can be arranged. If you all let me know when you'd be interested in going, I can put it together.

Waterbury...
Level Contributor
728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Excavations of St. John Lateran at the Vatican

This definitely sounds like something we'd like to see. Unfortunately, we won't be there until September, but this will be on our list of things to do. Thanks for posting this!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
6 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Excavations of St. John Lateran at the Vatican

The price is steep. The website is a little confusing, but if you put information in as though you're going to buy a ticket, it shows 150 Euros per person, plus another 150 Euros if you want a guide for 1 - 25 people.

I'm still hoping to find someone who has taken this tour and can tell me if they think it might feel too closed in underground for my claustrophobic friend.

Thanks for all the comments....Sally

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Excavations of St. John Lateran at the Vatican

PNW: the number of participants refers to the number of *groups*, not the number of people. See the bold-face type above, which says, "N.B.: Number of participants composing the group: for groups of people from 1 to 25 select 1; for groups of people from 26 to 50 select 2." It does look as thought the guide is extra, so for a group of 25, it would 12 euros per person.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
6 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Excavations of St. John Lateran at the Vatican

OK, "bvlenci", I like your interpretation much better than mine!

Still hoping for some advice on whether or not it might be suitable for my claustrophobic friend.

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Excavations of St. John Lateran at the Vatican

I just called the vatican. It is 150euro per person to see these excavations. It obviously comes with a guide! That is, the cost in total is 150 euro. They did not reveal what was in there, it seems very interesting and i might go in 2 weeks time. I will let you guys know the full details if I go. I hope its worth this amount of money, i am on a strict budget. Ciao! Peace!