We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking partner to Rome for her birthday

Portsmouth
1 post
1 review
Taking partner to Rome for her birthday

Am off to Rome with my partner for her birthday in a few weeks, can any one reccommend any must see's/ do's?

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
65 posts
18 reviews
1. Re: Taking partner to Rome for her birthday

I'm taking my partner there this weekend for his birthday as a surprise so I'll let you know what we liked/didn't like when I get back!

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
450 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: Taking partner to Rome for her birthday

Hi Niall

I was also lucky enough to be taken to Rome for my birthday.

Advice from my sister before I went was to just 'wander'! We did this and had a great time. We had a map and a general idea of what we wanted to see. In one day we saw the Trevi fountain, Spanish Steps, Pantheon, Roman Forum, Colosseum and the Piazza Navona.

We were also impressed by the beautiful churches, fountains and buildings along the way.

It really depends what you're in to - have a look at your guide book and pick out what you think you'd both like to see. My highlight was the Trevi fountain, but my partner preferred the Roman Forum. Try and have a mix of different things.

There's also a really nice glove shop almost opposite the Spanish Steps - my partner bought me a beautiful pair of frivolous fuschia pink leather gloves. The bag that they came in was impressive enough and I was overjoyed. Just a little suggestion!!!

Have a great time.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
65 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Taking partner to Rome for her birthday

Hiya

Have just come back and I'm so in love with Rome! Good advise is just to walk everywhere. Take some trainers that are up to the job (mine weren't and after 7 hours walking on the first day I thought my feet had actually been run over by a car). Don't eat in Piazza Navona - total rip off and moody waiters.

We went for possibly teh best meal of my life in a restaurant in a really cool area called Trastavere (over river, but only EUR 7 in a cab from Colosseum). Book it as a surprise I promise you won't be disappointed!

Beautiful restaurant with huge wine cellar and fab atmosphere. Really romantic, well spaced tables with food to die for. We ate so much and loved it all. Bill came to about £75 for 2 - which I thought was totally worth it. The place is called Enoteca Ferrara. Look it up and go there! Let me know what you think if you do!

Apart from that the Vatican is a must - try and get a guided tour ifyou can as the crowds will make your head spin if you try and do it on your own. We ended up jumping the queue (which would have been 3 hours long - don't go on a Monday morning!) and got the most fab guide who was English and was a history student. Think it was Eternity Tours.

Hope this helps a bit - enjoy it! Oh and do walk round the Roman Forum - fascinating!

Fozzie.

NJ
Level Contributor
66 posts
4. Re: Taking partner to Rome for her birthday

I agree walking is the key to seeing this great city.A personal favorite of mine is the jewish Ghetto tiny area very few tourists and the streets make you feel like you have steped way back in time.Also the best cheese cake in the world from a famous bakery they only make ricotta cheesecame and ruguhla? sooooo amazing and after all the walking you may need some thing sweet to keep you going.have a good time

5. Re: Taking partner to Rome for her birthday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2005, 23:11
Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,556 posts
31 reviews
6. Re: Taking partner to Rome for her birthday

Texas - How does one 'pretend' to speak Italian? I'm visiting Italy in May and I'd sure like a few tips on pretending. Perhaps you could help.

7. Re: Taking partner to Rome for her birthday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2005, 23:11
Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,556 posts
31 reviews
8. Re: Taking partner to Rome for her birthday

Grazie. You are correct. Mi dispiace.