We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Archaeological Card or Roma Pass

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Archaeological Card or Roma Pass

My family will be arriving in Rome on December 26 and staying for six nights. I've looked at the Archaeological Card and the Roma Pass. I know that the Archaeological Card does not include transportation, but includes entrance into more sights. Are any of these extra sights "must sees"?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
29,268 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Archaeological Card or Roma Pass

Hello,

I believe the archeologia card includes free entrance to more sights than the romapass. As to whether they are "must sees" or not is up to you. I do like the Baths of Caracalla but didn't care for the baths of Diocletian. If you are really into visiting museums then the archeologia pass might be the way to go.

I, personally, prefer the romapass as it gets you discounts into more of the sights that I like to visit. I like going to the Ara Pacis and Ostia Antica (to name a few) and getting a discount on those after using the free portion of the pass is a plus to me. You should add up what you are really going to see and compare the passes for yourself. You get a discount at all the sights listed for the archeologia pass with the romapass. To get a list of prices I use www.pierreci.it/do/show/corporate/5 You can click on a sight then click on prices and timing to see the info you need. The reduced price is the discount with the romapass.

donna

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
19,442 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Archaeological Card or Roma Pass

it depends on what exactly you and your family are interested in.

I have used both the Archaelogical passes and the Roma passes. The Roma passes are good for more sites than the Archeological passes are. You can use them together and use the Archeological pass for the sites that it does cover (the Colosseum and Palatine for example), and save the Roma pass for the ones the Archeological pass does not cover (Capitoline Museum, Borghese Gallery, or Ostia Antica for example).

Here is the list of what the Archeological pass does cover (9 sites)

Palazzo Massimo, Palazzo Altemps, Crypta Balbi, Terme di Diocleziano, Colosseo, Palatino, Terme di Caracalla, Villa dei Quintili, Mausoleo di Cecilia Metella.

ROMA PASS (44 sites)

Ancient (23 sites)

http://www.romapass.it/p.aspx?l=en&tid=9

modern (13 sites)

http://www.romapass.it/p.aspx?l=en&tid=10

contemp (7 sites)

http://www.romapass.it/p.aspx?l=en&tid=11

scientific 2 sites

http://www.romapass.it/p.aspx?l=en&tid=12

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,396 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Archaeological Card or Roma Pass

I don't think the Archeologia Card covers any sites that are not covered by the Roma Pass. The following page, from the Rome tourism web site, lists the sites covered by the Archeologia Card:

romaturismo.it/v2/…musei08.html

All of the sites listed as covered by the card are also covered by the Roma Pass. The main advantage of the card is that it's valid for seven days, and that you get free entrance into as many sites as you want, whereas the Roma Pass is valid for three days and gives you free admission into two sites and discounts on the rest. The Roma Pass includes other museums not covered by the Archeologia Card, of course, and also includes a 3-day transport pass.

pacific northwest
Level Contributor
621 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Archaeological Card or Roma Pass

Hello,

Revisiting this question... am confused about the two cards (3 actually) Roma Pass, Roma Pass&Piu, Archeologia Card.

We will be visiting Rome for 7 days, we want to see the Colloseum/Palatine/Forum, Castle St. Angelo, Ostia Antica, Domus Aurea?, these are the "biggies" we want to see, maybe Borghese Gallery (I've been, husband hasn't and not sure he wants to) I understand the Vatican, churches, aren't included in any of these...

I would love advice as to which one would be most cost effective for us. The last time I was there I only used the bus maybe 3 times and the metro none. We are staying on the Piazza Navona side of the river near the Bridge of Angels.

Here is something I found on the two Roma Passes. This says you get a 50% discount on all the other entrances, I don't remember it being that good... What does everyone think?

(two types of ticket are available:

* Roma Pass, € 23.00, valid 3 days (first 2 sites free of charge, 50% reduction on the others), includes urban transport; Internet advance sale: purchase

* Roma&Più Pass, € 25.00, valid 3 days (first 2 sites free of charge, 50% reduction on the others), includes transport in the province; Internet advance sale: purchase )

Here is the website I found the above on

pierreci.it/en/…roma-pass.aspx

Help :-) !!

Thanks!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
29,268 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Archaeological Card or Roma Pass

Hi Tufy,

If you won't be using the transportation then the pui pass is not for you. It gives you more transportation options of going outside the city of Rome.

The archeological card lasts 7 day as opposed to 3 days for romapass. The sites covered by the archeo card are not as numerous as with the romapass so check out both websites to see which sites they will cover. The romapass gives you 2 free entrances and then a 50% discount to the other sites. The archeo card gives you free entrance for any of the sites listed. You will just have to do the math. I have never used the archeo pass but have used the romapass a few times. For me it was a good deal.

Donna

pacific northwest
Level Contributor
621 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Archaeological Card or Roma Pass

Thanks Donna, one of the things I was having trouble with was that I can't seem to find an easy to read list of what they each cover with the corresponding costs. You have to go to different websites to find them. Either that or I'm just not seeing it!

Will try to do the math, it does seem as though most people use the Roma Pass verses the Achaeologica Card.

Thanks!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,396 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Archaeological Card or Roma Pass

Tufy: Here is a better description of the two Roma Passes:

http://www.romapass.it/p.aspx?l=en&tid=2

Click on "museums", then on "archeological", "contemporary", etc., to see just what they cover. It doesn't tell you what these places cost without the pass, but the two most expensive put together will cost around 20 euros, while the Roma Pass costs 23 euros and the Roma & Più pass costs 25 euros.

The Roma & Più pass covers not just the city of Rome, but the entire province, including transportation and state museums and archeological sites. It's worth the extra two euros if you've already decided to buy one of the passes and you're visiting Tivoli, for instance, because it covers the train or bus to get there, as well as the Villa D'Este and the Villa Adriana. (However, neither of these villas cost as much as the Colosseum or Borghese gallery, so you might not want to use the pass for the free entrances.)

None of the things you want to see is outside the city of Rome, so I would say you can rule out the Roma & Più pass. The Colosseum (including the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill) costs usually 11 or 12 euros, depending on what "temporary" exhibit they're hosting at the moment. The Borghese gallery costs 8.50. If you're going to see both of these, their combined price almost covers the cost of the Roma pass, and if you use public transportation even just three times, the pass is worthwhile. If you're not going to the Borghese Gallery, and not using public transportation much, then it's possible that the cost of the pass would be more than just paying the entrances. None of the other sites you mention costs as much as the Borghese Gallery; Ostia Antica costs 6.50 and Castel Sant'Angelo even less (maybe 5 euros). If there's a temporary exhibit, they may cost more, though; I've never heard of one at Ostia Antica, but Castel Sant'Angelo had one a while back.

Here is a page that describes the Archeologia Card, as well as several other cards:

http://www.rome.info/museums/cards/

At a glance, it doesn't look as though any of them covers much of what you want to see. The Archeologia card wouldn't save you money unless you were going to most of the seven museums covered.

By the way, I don't know if you're aware that the Domus Aurea has a limited visit at the present time. A good part of it was closed a few years ago due to water infiltration, which caused unstable conditions. At the moment they're describing it as a visit to see the work of restoration that's going on.

Westampton, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Archaeological Card or Roma Pass

I plan to see sites in Rome, but then plan to take the train to Civitavechia to meet a cruise. Which card do you think is best for me? I know the Roma Pass is not valid for the train to Civitavechia

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,396 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Archaeological Card or Roma Pass

Bobs, I just explained the difference between the two cards as best I know how, and gave a link to their web site so you could read even more. I don't know what else to add. What is it that's not clear to you?

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Archaeological Card or Roma Pass

Bobs, You cannot use the Roma & Piu pass for transport to Civitavecchia. It's valid for three zones in the province of Rome; Civitavecchia is in Zone 4 or 5. I can't explain it better than that without writing a book, so you'll have to trust me on it.

The Domus Aurea has been completely closed again as a result of water infiltration during the excceptionally heavy rains in December 2008.