We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety of area around Termini Station

Vancouver
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Safety of area around Termini Station

Hello:

I'm looking to book the Best Western Hotel Canada in Rome for 3 nights - May 2008

Is the area around the Termini station safe? I've read a handful of reviews that indicate the location around the Termini station is a bit run down and shady.

While other reviews say the location is great.

Any feelings on this?

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Appia Antica Resort
Appia Antica Resort
#1 of 1,271 hotels in Rome
Nerva Boutique Hotel
Nerva Boutique Hotel
#6 of 1,271 hotels in Rome
Hotel Santa Maria
Hotel Santa Maria
#8 of 1,271 hotels in Rome
Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety of area around Termini Station

It's not the most charming area of Rome, but it's fine. Some streets may have a somewhat shady feel to them after dark, but they are not downright dangerous. If you've ever visited places like New York or San Francisco (or much closer to you, Seattle), I can't believe you'll feel intimidated. There are dozens of small hotels in the area, so plenty of people will be out well after dark.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Atlanta
Level Contributor
652 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety of area around Termini Station

In October I stayed four nights at the Hotel Massimo D'Azeglio on Via Cavour one block or so from the Termini station. We walked to restaurants, bars, cafes etc. at night. I felt quite safe, but when my sister and I wanted to go to the famous Fassi for ice cream, the desk clerk at the hotel said it was too far to walk at night (20 minutes). That was interesting. We took his advice, but we never had a sense of danger walking around. Maybe it's a false sense of security. No one in our tour group had any problems.

Mentioned in this post
Via Cavour
Via Cavour
52 Reviews
Rome, Italy
malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety of area around Termini Station

We stayed near Piazza Vittorio Emmanuele last month. The area is seedy but we never felt unsafe (it`s full of graffiti mostly tastefully done). The shops are practically all run by Chinese or Pakistanis and as they tend to gather in groups it might give the impression of `shady` but I can honestly say that I never saw or heard of anyone having trouble.

It`s not the most beautiful of areas but very practical and relatively cheap.

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,152 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety of area around Termini Station

Hi

This has been up for discussion here on the board before. I stayed right next to Termini when I went there a couple of years back and I used Termini for buses, metro, airport train etc. We felt pretty safe and didn't have any problems with our stay there. This Rome map shows the location of our hotel: http://gardkarlsen.com/rome_italy_map.htm . The hotel we stayed at is marked with yellow and you can click on the various markers for more information. Get in touch if you want to take a look at my Rome trip report with pictures and links. You can reach me on gardkarlsen@hotmail.com

Regards

gard

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
TOKYO
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety of area around Termini Station

Don't worry the hotel Canada is in the safe area of Termini station,via Marsala side,

the other side,via Giolitti,via Cavour,can be a little bit dangerous during the night,but as any other place in the world,

I've been at an hotel near the Canada and found the area very safe,full of reastaurants,bars,tourists and prices are low.

Mentioned in this post
Marsala
Marsala
Sicily, Italy
Giolitti
Giolitti
10,311 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Via Cavour
Via Cavour
52 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety of area around Termini Station

We booked into the Columbia, near the Termini. Then I spotted all this seedy business on here, which worried me.

The area is as safe as houses. Lots of hotels, lots of people, no louts etc.

I think some people don't know the meaning of safe and seedy. A small group of English footy fans going to see their team play Roma have the right to feel threatened, but not a tourist walking the Termini area.

Mentioned in this post
Roma Boutique Hotel
Roma Boutique Hotel
655 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Vancouver
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety of area around Termini Station

Thanks for the inout everyone!

8. Re: Safety of area around Termini Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 06:50