We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Part of Rome to Stay?

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
17 posts
21 reviews
What Part of Rome to Stay?

My wife and I will be making our very first visit to Rome this Spring. Is there any recommendations on what part of Rome is the more ideal to stay in if you're interested in seeing the historic sites? Thank you.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
1. Re: What Part of Rome to Stay?

We stayed right near the Spanish Steps. I like the area, very easy to get around and nice to stroll. Unfortunately, we didn't have enough planning time and ended up staying at a budget hotel on a little street. It was o.k. but you could do better since you've got time to plan.

We loved Rome!

Boston - USA
Level Contributor
134 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: What Part of Rome to Stay?

The Spanish Steps are too touristy....... Irish restaurants, American Steak houses....

One area that i would reccomend is Trestevare

There is a boutique hotel there Hotel San Francesco...

this is the real Rome...where you will be eating and dining next to Romans that live there.... it is just South of St. Peters ...and is walkable to the Colloseum, The Forum etc.... the Tram ... Argentina.....runs nearby and can get you all over the city..

Rome is a walkable city....

I was there in May of 2004 ... EXTREMELY clean...very safe and absolutley gorgeous... so many trees, pines, palms, flowers...etc.... so much has been renovated......... very few gypsies...and most Romans know good English..... but definitely appreciate you trying Italian........... Get to St. Peters before 9 ior 10...thats when the long lines form..... same with the Colloseum.....

Fairfax, VA
4 posts
3. Re: What Part of Rome to Stay?

Can anyone share with me the best way to travel in Rome.

I am staying in a Hotel that is in the North East part of Rome off Via Salaria and want to go to the Spanish Steps. Whats the best/safe way to get around Taxi, bus, metro ?

Thank you

Level Contributor
2,852 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: What Part of Rome to Stay?

I saw your other post and your hotel is WAY outside the city center. The buses and metro are safe, but the metro closes at 10:30 (12:30 on Saturdays) and the buses late at night run infrequently. It will probably cost you about 15-20 euros to get from your hotel to the city center -- that's 1 way.

Sarasota, Florida...
Level Contributor
931 posts
22 reviews
5. Re: What Part of Rome to Stay?

Arrived home from Rome on November 20. We stayed near the Piazza Navona. Wonderful location. Close to everything, but get ready for sticker shock!

Ann Arbor, MI
Level Contributor
68 posts
9 reviews
6. Re: What Part of Rome to Stay?

I agree that the Spanish steps area is too touristy and pricey. I definetly love Trastevere, the other post hit the nail on the head. If you search Romeby.com, you will find many B&B's in that area and some good hotels as well. The other area I really like is the Campo dei Fiori. It is absolutely central and very safe, even at night. I usually stay in convents so I don't have great hotel recomendations. The convents I stay in are very cheap but no English is spoken and there is a curfew. So, check out Romeby.com. I've found good lodgings for friends of mine who aren't willing to travel on such a shoestring budget.

JJK
Baton Rouge, LA
Level Contributor
92 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: What Part of Rome to Stay?

I recommend that you stay in the city center. You can walk everywhere but bring good walking shoes. We stayed at www.66imperialinn.com and loved it. It was very nice for the price - nothing fancy but clean, comfortable, and safe. I keep recommending it on this forum because it was such a find!

Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: What Part of Rome to Stay?

Don't stray out of the city centre area. I would stay near the Spanish Steps if you are limited timewise and want to see all the sights. Just got back from Rome and Florence two weeks ago. I stayed at the Albergo Ottocento in Rome (around 160 euros/night)). Great hotel, super comfortable beds. Marble bath w/ jacuzzi. Super clean and luxe. Bountiful breakfast buffet (eggs & bacon on top of a changing continental breakfast.) See hotel reviews on tripadvisor. Go to the hotel website for rates. They have specials for December. About an 8 minute walk to the Spanish Steps. 15 minutes walk to the Pantheon and about a two minute walk to the nearest train station (Barberini). By train took only 10-15 minutes to get to Vatican City (5-8 minute walk from the station) and St. Peter's Square. Also about a 10-15 minute train ride to the Colosseum.

Try to spend some time in Florence too. A short easy commute by Eurostar (1.5 to 1.75hrs.) All Florence hotels are generally within easy walking distance from the sites. Stayed at the Carolus Hotel.

Washington, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
9. Re: What Part of Rome to Stay?

Good to here your comments, AvidTraveller. Me and my wife are going to Rome on 7 January for a long weekend and we're booked in to the Ottocento. Got 3 nights for 510 euros, which seems a good price for the description/location. We're now busy planning the best use of our two and a half days' sightseeing.

Belfast, Northern...
6 posts
1 review
10. Re: What Part of Rome to Stay?

I always stay near Campo De' Fiori. It's halfway between the Vatican and the Colosseum and easy walking distance to everything. Trastevere would be okay as well or, if you can afford it, Piazza Navona and the Pantheon would be great. I agree that the Spanish Steps area is a little too touristy--though it's perfect if you want to spend your time in designer shops.