We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pompeii and Catacombs

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
376 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Pompeii and Catacombs

Are there bus tours to these places. There is a group of us 4 adults and 2 children.

Also how long does it take to get to Pompeii? Many thanks.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,431 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pompeii and Catacombs

I always recommend going to Ostia Antica rather than Pompeii as it is much nearer and easier to reach. You take the train from Porta San Paolo / Ostiense / Piramide. Use the bus/metro ticket. It will save you time and trouble.

Sherman, TX
Level Contributor
937 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pompeii and Catacombs

We did Pompeii, on our own, in a day, 2 mid-50's women. Train to Naples left Termini at 7:15a, got to Naples about 2 hours later, found the Pompeii train without problem, and took the 30 minute ride to Pompeii scavi site. The train lets you off right at the entrance. There are eating places outside the ruins, and nice places to eat inside the ruins (under trees) if you bring a lunch. We walked at our own pace, using the Rick Steve's guidebook. We took the train back to Rome around 2:45 and were back at our B&B by 5:30p....if there is no fog in the morning, the view from the train is unbelievable. The vineyards, orchards, and picture postcard views of small towns on hillsides. I'm sure a private driver would show you the same things, but for more money. The two of us were watching our euros, so doing Pompeii on our own worked out great.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
376 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pompeii and Catacombs

Rudyjane, thanks for that info. Your journey sounds great espeically the train trip. How much did the travel cost and did you have difficulty getting the right train at termini?

Regards,

Helen.

London, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pompeii and Catacombs

I have just visited the amazing catacombs of San Callisto along the Roman road Via Appia Antica. To get there go to San Giovanni by tube/underground/subway and then take bus 218. Don't do what I did and walk there. It is a really dangerous stretch of road without

any room for pedestrians. San Callisto is considered the best of those that are open to the public. You will love it !

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
376 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pompeii and Catacombs

Many thanks Bjorn. Thanks for your advice on walking. I'll get the bus. I've just looked up a great site on practical advice http://www.catacombe.roma.it/en/info2.html