We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to make reservations at restaurants?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
298 posts
5 reviews
How to make reservations at restaurants?

I am looking at a few restaurants i want to eat dinner at but what is the best way to make reservations? can i do it online or do i need to go to the restaurant and make an appointment for the next day?

8 replies to this topic
County Dublin...
Level Contributor
32,478 posts
1. Re: How to make reservations at restaurants?

If in the area, walk in. If not, pick up the phone and call.

Level Contributor
516 posts
2. Re: How to make reservations at restaurants?

I have done it online using the website reservation system for the restaurants that have it, and it has always worked. Many use Quandoo. For example, Casa Bleve. That way I can make a few reservations before getting to Rome.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
298 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: How to make reservations at restaurants?

Thanks that seems much more convenient to do it on the app, because that way I can still do a walk in with the reservation. I would prefer to do it this way so I dont need to go to the property twice. I just dont want to find out they're fully booked 2 weeks in advanced like some places usually are

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
2,734 posts
95 reviews
4. Re: How to make reservations at restaurants?

You can now actually make restaurant reservations through Trip Advisor which uses The Fork. I made one just last week in Rome and was offered 20% off... no problems...

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
62,261 posts
171 reviews
5. Re: How to make reservations at restaurants?

Unless you want to go to an extremely popular restaurant, reserving on the day is usually fine. When in Italy, I usually buy a local SIM with data and minutes so I would call sometime in the afternoon.

London
Level Contributor
3,397 posts
153 reviews
6. Re: How to make reservations at restaurants?

How do you book a restaurant in Bangkok?

Try the same method. If you don't speak Italian, try in English; you might be lucky.

pacific northwest
Level Contributor
654 posts
42 reviews
7. Re: How to make reservations at restaurants?

I agree that The Fork, or other apps seem to work well if the restaurant you want is on the app.

You can also call, and many times, enough English is spoken that you can make a reservation. If your name is difficult, just give them a name that's easy to spell and pronounce with some ease. We sometimes leave reservations for "Smith," "Jones," "Tom", etc. Something short and easy.

California
Level Contributor
7,867 posts
52 reviews
8. Re: How to make reservations at restaurants?

If you call just remember that many restaurants only answer the phone during lunch or dinner, not in-between.

Reply to: How to make reservations at restaurants?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted