We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self guided Vatican tour

Level Contributor
32 posts
8 reviews
Self guided Vatican tour

Hello- we are touring the Vatican without a tour guide or tour group. I am trying to search for a Vatican walk through tour information so we see the main points and walk through it ourselves (basically plan everything out ourselves and see the main points.)

I am not finding much

help

thank you

5 replies to this topic
Copley, Ohio
Level Contributor
111 posts
138 reviews
1. Re: Self guided Vatican tour

Rick Steves has free audio guides for St Peters, the Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel. Download his app and you can download and listen to them.

Warwickshire...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds, Rome, London
Level Contributor
4,088 posts
109 reviews
2. Re: Self guided Vatican tour

There is decent guide book to the collection that you can buy in the bookshop. In fact most decent guidebooks will give you an overview - Eyewitness or the Blue Guide are both very good and available from Amazon. You can also use the Explore tab on the website (I have never listened to the RS downloads mentioned but his reliability is shaky)::

museivaticani.va/content/…collezioni.html

Level Contributor
32 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Self guided Vatican tour

Thank you

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
9,963 posts
141 reviews
4. Re: Self guided Vatican tour

Just take the audio tour when you get your ticket. It's not expensive and does a decent job at explaining the items on the tour.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
66 reviews
5. Re: Self guided Vatican tour

After you go through security you will have to check in any back packs etc, but keep a small handbag with your wallet. The audio guide booth is a little further on the right. You need to leave an ID- I left my Aussie drivers licence as dont want to leave my passport anywhere.

The audio guide was worth it. And very helpful especially explaining the art works in the painting gallery. It explains things and you learn so much about what you are looking at. You also get an information booklet on entry to tell you where the galleries are- there are sooo many! GO TO THE SISTINE CHAPEL FIRST! then back track and see the rest. When you leave the entire place remember to get your stuff from the cloack room.

Reply to: Self guided Vatican tour
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted