We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much do I need to budget per day for food ?

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
44 posts
How much do I need to budget per day for food ?

Hello, will be traveling to Rome in 3 weeks!! Family of 4. Two adults and 11,16 yrs olds.

How much should I budget for food per day ? Planning to have gelato and coffee everyday. We don't have free breakfast and we are thinking of going to nice $$ restaurants on 3 of the days we are there. What's a reasonable budget? Do I assume that food cost is similar to US ?

Likely To Sell Out
Waking Up the Vatican: VIP...
83 Reviews
from US$ 524.50*
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
24,299 Reviews
from US$ 72.40*
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,196 Reviews
from US$ 57.20*
15 replies to this topic
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
33,634 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: How much do I need to budget per day for food ?

Average cost of living www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/in/Rome

www.rome.info www.timeout.com/rome

Europe
Level Contributor
3,410 posts
149 reviews
2. Re: How much do I need to budget per day for food ?

'Reasonable' means different things to different people. How long is a pice of string?

Here's how budgeting works: you decide how much you can afford to spend beforehand. Then you make spending decisions to stay within that budget.

Some people get by on EUR 15 pppd. Others on EUR 300 pppd. You decide what works for you. More budget is always better.

Level Contributor
798 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: How much do I need to budget per day for food ?

Also consider that breakfast at bars in Italy is just a coffee or cappuccino and a pastry, often without even sitting. You will find places that offer american breakfast for about 10 euro.

Level Contributor
87 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: How much do I need to budget per day for food ?

150 euros per day !

greeley, CO
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
593 reviews
5. Re: How much do I need to budget per day for food ?

I think for budget purposes, Marta is probably correct. It also depends on how many courses you have at the $$ restaurants. We just have the main course and for the 2 of us it ran about 50 Euro. Lunch can be pretty inexpensive. For breakfast you might find a grocery store has what you want.

Europe
Level Contributor
3,410 posts
149 reviews
6. Re: How much do I need to budget per day for food ?

> I think for budget purposes, Marta is probably correct.

It's unclear to me whether she means per person or for a family of 4

London
Level Contributor
3,310 posts
153 reviews
7. Re: How much do I need to budget per day for food ?

"Here's how budgeting works: you decide how much you can afford to spend beforehand. Then you make spending decisions to stay within that budget.

Some people get by on EUR 15 pppd. Others on EUR 300 pppd. You decide what works for you. More budget is always better."

Hello_Bamboo was absolutely correct in explaining how budgeting works.

Marta is also absolutely correct! Allow 150 Euros a day and then make it work for how ever people there are in the group.

If I was charchar2017 I would google some restaurants in Rome and look at their menus to get an idea of prices and then I'd ESTIMATE how much I need.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
72,930 posts
476 reviews
8. Re: How much do I need to budget per day for food ?

We are in the fortunate position of not having to worry too much about budgeting. But when we have been less fortunate, we have also set a daily budget that we can afford and then stuck to it. Not rigidly, of course, because some days we would go over and some days we would be under, but overall we had to stick to what we could afford.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,061 posts
65 reviews
9. Re: How much do I need to budget per day for food ?

A good idea is to go to the supermarket and stock up on packs of juice, cereal and some milk. Hope you have a hotel with a frig.There are good packs of gelati in the supermarket- so much cheaper than at the gelati store. Get snacks, biscuits, bread some ham or sausage and fruit then you are good for a day out with a picnic. Take a small plastic bowl and spoon for each person. and a tea towel.

Many restaurants can rip off tourists and charge extra fees on leaving!!. There is some good family type cafes in the termini station you may want to check out.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
40,237 posts
18 reviews
10. Re: How much do I need to budget per day for food ?

We plan 100 euros a day for two people. This is for food and entry costs. Sometimes we spend more, sometimes less. For four people I would plan at least 150-200 euros per day. This way you won't need to skimp if you find a really nice restaurant you want to try.

donna

Reply to: How much do I need to budget per day for food ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted