We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport from Termini to Vatican museums

Napoleon, Ohio
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Transport from Termini to Vatican museums

I'm researching options for transport to Vatican from our hotel near the Termini station. My husband and I are needing to get there early on a Friday morning in August. I'd like to walk, it's the best way to see more sights in the city. We're healthy and mobile and in our early 40's. I'd like to think we could walk it...but knowing we'll be walking all day at the Vatican...would that be too much?

I know the Metro and bus are options, but have read that they are both very crowded and overwhelming (keeping track of when you're stop is up, etc.). Would a taxi be worth the extra cost?

Anyone know I'd love to hear from folks on recommendations.

Mentioned in this post
Vatican
Vatican
255 Reviews
Rome, Italy
11 replies to this topic
Warwickshire...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds, Rome, London
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport from Termini to Vatican museums

I wouldn't take a taxi over public transport. Yes the metro & buses will be busy in the early morning but so too will the roads.

Jacksonville...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport from Termini to Vatican museums

I would recommend the metro line A - 1.5 euros each. Termini to Cipro- Vatican Museums 7 stops. If you have taken subways in NYC, DC, London or Paris then no problem. Easy and well marked. Beware of your surroundings and your belongings. Watch out for pickpockets. I have done this metro ride 12 years ago and easy and well marked. Just follow the hordes of people to the museums. Not sure if you’re lining up with everyone or have a tour with skip the line tickets.

Walking- You are visiting in August so it will be hot. The good news is that Termini to Vatican is all down hill and then just across the river. If you are adventurous and don’t mind getting lost or turned around and want to walk 2-3 miles, go for it. You will be walking a lot in the museums and throughout Rome so it is an option.

Taxi - easy. Did this last week with 4 people and cost about 12 euros. Fast and convenient and dropped off at exact spot as hotel arranged cab.

Coming back, taxi guy overcharged despite being at a taxi stand.

Never taken the bus in Rome but should be easy given Termini and Vatican are major stops.

Here is the subway map and directions-

The fastest and simplest way from Termini to the Vatican is the metro A, direction Battistini. The stop Ottaviano is closer to the Basilica, and St Peters Square. also closer to the Vatican Museums if you have to queue to enter; Cipro is better when you come out from the Museums

Subway line map-

https://www.rome.info/metro/

Map of Vatican with metro and bus stops -

https:/…mapvatican.gif

Mentioned in this post
Vatican Museums
Vatican Museums
32,175 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
London
London
England, UK
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Vatican
Vatican
255 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
greeley, CO
Level Contributor
3,102 posts
553 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport from Termini to Vatican museums

I wouldn’t walk. You will be doing enough of that in the museums. Taxi would be ok and get you right to where you need to be. But the Metro is easy to use. Stops are clearly labeled. I wouldn’t be concerned about beng overwhelmed.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,038 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport from Termini to Vatican museums

Too far to walk it is on the other side of the river. You can stroll and sight see and have dinner somewhere in the evening when you leave. Use this website to plan any public transport or even walk anywhere in the world/ have a play with it- it is so helpful...www.rome2rio.com

Australia
Level Contributor
4,056 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport from Termini to Vatican museums

Consider half and half. Work out an interesting walk to Flaminio, the Metro station just north of Piazza del Popolo. If it’s getting late, or too weary, taxi rank at the Pantheon or Metro stop at Spagna. Coming back, if you exit via StPeters, a not so exciting walk to Castel Sant’Angelo through fascist era wide roads, but then the wonderment begins...after you cross the bridge there, get lost in the smaller streets, plan to be home by midnight.

Edited: 20 June 2018, 16:01
Mentioned in this post
Piazza del Popolo
Piazza del Popolo
3,516 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Pantheon
Pantheon
65,621 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Castel Sant'Angelo Inn
Castel Sant'Angelo Inn
485 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Lismore, Australia
Level Contributor
2,976 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport from Termini to Vatican museums

ottaviano is the metro stop or bus 64 from termini..both are magnets for pickpockets so don't carry anything in your pockets..be aware of who is around you..it's a relatively easy walk..all downhill from termini..the c3 and the number 40 bus go back to termini but their stops are back across the river from the vatican

the 9mb 'rome city' map on the atac site has all the public transport stops..the website also has a route planner and a 'find my bus' option

www.atac.roma.it/?lingua=ENG select 'lines and maps' download the maps and save them to your phone or tablet and you can refer to them anytime without an internet connection..you do need the internet to use the route planner and the find my bus option

pacific northwest
Level Contributor
487 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport from Termini to Vatican museums

We stayed near Termini and had an early tour of the Vatican. We took the metro there, and then walked back afterward, taking in lunch at Sorpasso on the way. It all worked out fine.

Mentioned in this post
Vatican
Vatican
255 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Copley, Ohio
Level Contributor
89 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport from Termini to Vatican museums

There is a stop past Ottaviano (the stop for Vatican City) that I’m now blanking on the name but has a sign labeled showing it as the stop for the Vatican Museums.

Mentioned in this post
Vatican City
Vatican City
5,933 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
Vatican Museums
Vatican Museums
32,175 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
Linthicum, MD
Level Contributor
765 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transport from Termini to Vatican museums

The metro is easy. Buy your tickets in advance at a newsstand or café. You get on at Termini, right in front of the station. Just follow the signs. Insert your ticket and retrieve it to get through the turnstile. There's nothing to it. You want the orange line towards Battistini. There are only three lines. Everything is color-coded, and there is a map on every train.

Level Contributor
19 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transport from Termini to Vatican museums

Agreeing with those who suggested the Metro. We walked ALL over Rome (37,000 steps one day, according to FitBit) but we took the Metro to the Vatican.

It is super easy to navigate as there are only two lines. Someone upthread mentioned DC, NY, London subways......Rome's was MUCH easier.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Vatican
Vatican
255 Reviews
Rome, Italy
London
London
England, UK
Reply to: Transport from Termini to Vatican museums