We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 pm to 10-pm what is open in rome

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
52 reviews
5 pm to 10-pm what is open in rome

Hi

We arrive by train and are staying at hotel smooth termini . Our train arrives at 5 pm and we have a next morning flight . Where can I go shopping for sandals for women , cosmetics and local cheese to carry back to the states ? Also is there any recommended place for dinner nearby ?

I have been sightseeing to Rome once 7 years ago and loved it . If the shops are closed is there any night bus ride around the city ?

Thank you for your time

8 replies to this topic
Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
7,070 posts
729 reviews
1. Re: 5 pm to 10-pm what is open in rome

There is a very good food court with local food specialties right at Termini: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Revie… My go-to spot there is Trapizzino, located all the way in the back, on the right.

I would go walk around the Monti district, not far from Termini, and filled with little bars, restaurants and shops.

Level Contributor
833 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: 5 pm to 10-pm what is open in rome

Most shops close at 7.30 pm, supermarkets between 8 and 9 pm.

Level Contributor
833 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: 5 pm to 10-pm what is open in rome

Regular buses run until midnight.

Romans don't have dinner before 8.30 pm.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,139 posts
76 reviews
4. Re: 5 pm to 10-pm what is open in rome

There may be restrictions or limitations on cheese brought into the US, so check if you plan to.

United States
Level Contributor
1,446 posts
1 review
5. Re: 5 pm to 10-pm what is open in rome

+1 on SpanishStepsApt recommendation. The Mercato Centrale Roma within the Terminal is a modern style food hall just opened a few years ago. Lots of great choices of eats at the various booths. Chef Bonci also has a second location (original location near Vatican) inside the Mercato Centrale Roma.

Also, here are a few recommendations for gelato near Smooth Hotel:

Gelateria Come il Latte - excellent gelato shop. Their pistachio and dark chocolate flavors are AMAZING!!!

Gelateria La Romana - another great gelato shop. Been in business since 1947 with multiple locations throughout Italy and Europe.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
52 reviews
6. Re: 5 pm to 10-pm what is open in rome

We ate at mercato central - thank u Spanishsteps apt - train station is really big

Also had gelato at the Romana place . /USA_Drew thank you so so so much it was the best gelato of my entire trip . The hazelnuts and combo with dark chocolate - wish I could carry them back home with me 😊

I was returning after my trip 7 years ago and am even more convinced that Rome is my fav city especially at night - all lit up ,the fountains , the magnificent buildings .

Edited: 20 June 2018, 16:45
Australia
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
62 reviews
7. Re: 5 pm to 10-pm what is open in rome

For shopping much depends on your target. Moderate sensible on Via Nazionale, decidedly fashionable on Via Frattini; on Via Condotti if you have to ask the price you can’t afford it. It’s a big city. Big city stuff. You’ll need to hurry to be in shops by 7. Here some 2010 photos of mine in Via Frattina

.http://unmese.blogspot.com/search/label/via%20Frattina

Edited: 20 June 2018, 17:39
NY
Level Contributor
3,925 posts
105 reviews
8. Re: 5 pm to 10-pm what is open in rome

Bringing cheese can be tricky, you can look up types. In any event you have to declare and if on inspection you can't bring in, inspectors will trash for you.

I am always curious the reason to import food items, My grocery has essentially any kind of Italian cheese allowed, they send buyers over to contract for it.

Reply to: 5 pm to 10-pm what is open in rome
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted