We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quintessential Roman souvenir

Level Contributor
47 posts
18 reviews
Quintessential Roman souvenir

Our family of four will be heading to Italy in a few short weeks. Our 15 year old daughter would like to pick up smallish souvenirs from each city we visit. I know in Venice, glass and masks and lace are traditional items but I don't know what, if anything, is associated with Rome. She prefers not to bring home things like Coloessum statues and whatnot.

Ideas and suggestions for where to find them are appreciated! We'd be looking for items below 100 euro - preferably in the 50 range.

16 replies to this topic
Whitehouse Station...
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
11. Re: Quintessential Roman souvenir

I was in Italy when I was 22. I purchased a sketch of the Duomo in Florence and it is one of my favorite things. At 47, I still love it. A piece of art is a great souvenir that you can enjoy for years.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
2,213 posts
192 reviews
12. Re: Quintessential Roman souvenir

Sophie at #9, we got the same tile. We saw it outside an apartment where we were staying, and craved one. Couldn't find one in Rome (and we stayed just near the Pantheon!) and eventually got one in Sorrento. It's in our front window, warning visitors not to trip over our 'gatti' !

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,165 posts
76 reviews
13. Re: Quintessential Roman souvenir

I also have about a half dozen of the ceramic tiles that are specific to places. The smaller ones make good paper weights for my credit card receipts until I get the statement. They make colorful reminders of where you have been. The sweet older lady who sold me the one from Portovenere told me that her husband made it. I thought, "Your husband must have gotten around!"

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
28 posts
14. Re: Quintessential Roman souvenir

We bought stamps at the Vatican

Level Contributor
3,593 posts
40 reviews
15. Re: Quintessential Roman souvenir

We also like to look for art. One of my favorites was a charcoal drawing in Venice that we stumbled on while lost of course. Hope to find something like that when in Rome. Thanks for posting this!

Mill Valley...
Level Contributor
4,226 posts
20 reviews
16. Re: Quintessential Roman souvenir

You could look for a small original watercolor or have her sit for a charcoal portrait.

Reply to: Quintessential Roman souvenir
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted