We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leonardo Express *to* FCO Question

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
173 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Leonardo Express *to* FCO Question

I am on a train that arrives at Roma Termini at 13:45 and am hoping to catch the next LE at 14:05 per the current timetables.

My current plan was to purchase the LE tickets when I arrived at Roma Termini. How late is possible to purchase tickets for the Leonardo Express? Is 20 minutes enough time to purchase tickets and change trains? Is there

Or should I look into rebooking train tickets as I just learned my flight from FCO was changed to an earlier departure. The 14:05 LE will get me to FCO about 2 hours before my flight.

Mentioned in this post
Roma Boutique Hotel
Roma Boutique Hotel
652 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Leonardo Express
Leonardo Express
867 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino, Italy
Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
23,665 Reviews
from US$ 73.30*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,933 Reviews
from US$ 57.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Private...
546 Reviews
from US$ 389.90*
8 replies to this topic
Utrecht, The...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Leonardo Express *to* FCO Question

You should be fine; the ticket machines are close by the platforms. No need to worry.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
173 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leonardo Express *to* FCO Question

Thank you.

Having never been to Roma Termini, how close is close? Are the ticket machines directly accessible to the platforms or do I need to leave the platform area to purchase then re-enter to validate the LE ticket? Or are validation machines along the platform?

My apologies for all the questions.

Mentioned in this post
Roma Boutique Hotel
Roma Boutique Hotel
652 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,686 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leonardo Express *to* FCO Question

But if you have a direct flight back to Seattle, you are advised to be at FCO 3 hours prior to departure. Or maybe you have a connection in Europe, in which case, 2 hours is advised.

Mentioned in this post
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino, Italy
Europe
Europe
World
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
173 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leonardo Express *to* FCO Question

Thank you for the concern but the flight from FCO is to another country in the Schengen Area, specifically an Alitalia flight to Malta. (There are no direct flights between Seattle and Rome.)

Mentioned in this post
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,686 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leonardo Express *to* FCO Question

Direct to Seattle did seem unlikely!

Scranton...
Level Contributor
643 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leonardo Express *to* FCO Question

To answer your question, yes, you need to exit the platform area to access the ticket machines, then re-enter the platform area to board the Leonardo. The validation machines are affixed to the columns in the platform area.

Do be aware that there will be "helpful" folks that will try to insist on assisting you with the ticket machines. Do your best to ignore them.

Scranton...
Level Contributor
643 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leonardo Express *to* FCO Question

Here's a map of the station. Click on the "platform level".

https://www.romatermini.com/en/map/#

The ticket machines are all clustered near the main Piazza di Cinquecento entrance, between the ticket offices.

https://tinyurl.com/yccfnhjh

The Leonardo uses tracks 23 & 24.

Australia
Level Contributor
3,575 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Leonardo Express *to* FCO Question

i don’t know where you are traveling from or whether you have bought the ticket to Termini yet but you can buy a ticket to Fiumicino Aeroporto, not Termini. Which would be emailed as covering the two trains. Which would get over the problem. And should you miss that connection at Termini the portion to FCO would be valid for the next train.

You can also buy the Termini to Fiumicino Aeroporto ticket online to avoid the hassle of trying to manage your bags and buy the ticket at the same time with (possible) gentlemen offering to assist in handling the transaction. And again if you missed that Leonardo the ticket would be valid for the next.

Mentioned in this post
Fiumicino
Fiumicino
Province of Rome, Italy
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino, Italy
Reply to: Leonardo Express *to* FCO Question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted