We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finalized itinerary--but always looking for suggestions

Farmington, Missouri
Level Contributor
220 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Finalized itinerary--but always looking for suggestions

Taking my first trip to Rome NEXT WEEK!! It will be just my wife and I (ages 51 and 49). Looking so forward to the trip. I thought I would post my itinerary and see if anyone had any last minute suggestions. We will arrive in Rome on Friday morning (June 22) at around 9 am and have until Wednesday afternoon until around noon to explore Rome. TripAdvisor has helped me plan this trip along with other travel books and the world wide web. We are mostly interested in visiting the main tourist sites, the Vatican, and interesting Basilicas and churches. We are Roman Catholic. Here is what I have planned so far.

Friday (June 22): Arrive at FCO at 9 am. We have transport arranged to our hotel near the Piazza Venezia. We plan on pushing forward and seeing sights near our hotel on day one so that we can manage our jet lag. We will drop off our luggage at our hotel and hit the ground running. We plan on seeing the Altare della Patria, Chiesa del Gesu, and Basilica of Santa Maria in Aracoeli. All near our hotel. Head back to our hotel and check-in (Check in time is 2 pm). Not sure what else we will do this evening other than try to grab a nice meal. Likely go to bed early this evening. Our hotel has a City View rooftop bar and garden so likely enjoy that this evening.

Saturday: We have a morning tour arranged for the Colosseum, Forum, and Palatine Hill through City Wonders tours. Our tour will take up from 8 to noon. Also want to see a few things in that area that are interesting to see (Mamertine Prison being one). Likely walk back to our hotel ( I hear we are not too far away), rest a little, and then head back out in the late afternoon and evening for dinner and more sightseeing.

Sunday: Going to English Speaking mass at San Silvestro in Capite in Piazza San Silvestro. Then try to see the sights around this area. Hoping to visit Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, Piazza Navona, and some nice churches in this area (Church of San Luigi dei Francesi, Santa Maria Sopra Minerva, and Basilica di Sant’Agostino being the main ones I think are in the vicinity).

Monday: We have a tour of the Necropolis from 10:30 to noon on this day. This is a tour of the tomb of St. Peter below the Vatican. Already have it booked. Will have the afternoon and evening to see some other attractions at our leisure.

Tuesday: We have a early morning tour booked for the Vatican, Sistine Chapel, and Vatican Museums. This will take a majority of our day as the tour ends in St. Peters Basilica and we figure we will spend some time there.

Wednesday: We will see the Papal Audience. We know we need to get there early. After the papal audience, we have transport arranged to get to Civitavecchia, as our 7 day Mediterranean cruise leaves in the evening.

Santa Maria della Vittoria and Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore and St. John Lateran are other churches we will try to visit at some point. Not too interested in the museums. I am sure I am missing some things that we should do and know that we are likely only scratching the surface. Feel free to critique or add suggestions. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Vatican
Vatican
250 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino Airport
Fiumicino, Italy
Piazza Venezia
Piazza Venezia
2,917 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Altare Della Patria
Altare Della Patria
1,522 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Chiesa del Gesu
Chiesa del Gesu
1,413 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Hotel Santa Maria
Hotel Santa Maria
3,135 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Colosseum
Colosseum
1,22,247 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Palatine Hill
Palatine Hill
20,074 Reviews
Rome, Italy
City Wonders
City Wonders
14,612 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Hotel San Silvestro
Hotel San Silvestro
231 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Spanish Steps
Spanish Steps
18,886 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Trevi Fountain
Trevi Fountain
81,423 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Pantheon
Pantheon
64,920 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Piazza Navona
Piazza Navona
31,916 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Santa Maria Sopra Minerva
Santa Maria Sopra Minerva
1,764 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Sistine Chapel
Sistine Chapel
16,499 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
Vatican Museums
Vatican Museums
31,766 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
St. Peter's Basilica
St. Peter's Basilica
33,859 Reviews
Vatican City, Italy
Civitavecchia
Civitavecchia
Province of Rome, Italy
Santa Maria della Vittoria
Santa Maria della...
1,190 Reviews
Rome, Italy
7 replies to this topic
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
38,284 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finalized itinerary--but always looking for suggestions

On day 1 I would not visit any churches or galleries. Try to stay outside in the sun. Going into dark, quiet places is not the way to combat jet lag. There is so much to see and do in the piazza Venezia area. Just walk the city and get your bearings.

On Sunday remember that churches will be conducting services so you might want to push those visits to another day so as not to interrupt them.

You should be able to visit churches on Monday afternoon.

Donna

Three days going to the Vatican seems a bit much but if that's what you wish to do go for it.

Mentioned in this post
Piazza Venezia
Piazza Venezia
2,917 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Vatican
Vatican
250 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
6,412 posts
674 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finalized itinerary--but always looking for suggestions

This looks like a well planned itinerary, not too crazy. Depending on your energy level, you may eb able to add some more. Or, you may want to while away any extra time just wandering about, or sitting at a little table drinking wine and watching the world go by.

Sunday you may want to add Piazza del Popolo, the wonderful Caravaggio's at the church there, and the lovely Via Margutta. Also, just up the street from San Silvestro (which is on my street) is Sany'Andrea delle Fratte, with two angels by Bernini and a spire by Borromini. On the way to Piazza di Spagna from there you pass a building partly designed by Bernini, and party designed by Borromini.

Monday after the Scavi tour, perhaps head to Trastevere, some lovely churches, the Villa Farnesina, and good food await there.

Mentioned in this post
Piazza del Popolo
Piazza del Popolo
3,495 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Via Margutta
Via Margutta
233 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Hotel San Silvestro
Hotel San Silvestro
231 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Bernini Restaurant
Bernini Restaurant
1,113 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Trastevere
Trastevere
12,789 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Villa Farnesina
Villa Farnesina
665 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Gallatin, Tennessee
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Finalized itinerary--but always looking for suggestions

I saw a really cool rafting tour that I want to check out. You float down the Tiber and get the city from that perspective. I don't remember if I saw it here or on AirBnB but that might be something different. Ciao!

Level Contributor
357 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Finalized itinerary--but always looking for suggestions

Since you are staying nearby, try to stop in and see the Church of San Marco, adjacent to the Piazza Venezia. It is an ancient church with many later changes, often overlooked, but worth seeing. Also, you will probably walk by the Turtle Fountain in Piazza Mattei, don't miss the double courtyard of the nearby Palazzo Mattei. it is full of recycled ancient artifacts.

Mentioned in this post
The Church Palace
The Church Palace
692 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Piazza Venezia
Piazza Venezia
2,917 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Piazza Mattei
Piazza Mattei
85 Reviews
Rome, Italy
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
38,284 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Finalized itinerary--but always looking for suggestions

I can't imagine "rafting" through Rome. You certainly won't see the city because the embankments are too high. It's not really something that should be considered.

Donna

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Finalized itinerary--but always looking for suggestions

Thank you Curlygirl27. I never found that while reseraching.

Seems cool idea for a family with kids like us. Let the kids have some different type of fun in this historical city. Besides, hot summer sun and water seems like a great idea.

I looked it up, it is easy to find online, but too expensive for us. :(

Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
9,262 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Finalized itinerary--but always looking for suggestions

As Donna said, seeing anything by rafting in Rome would be futile, anyway. You literally wouldn't see the city, only embankments.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Reply to: Finalized itinerary--but always looking for suggestions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted