We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions on Itinerary

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Suggestions on Itinerary

Tours (pending)

8/13: Pompeii with Amalfi Coast drive tour from Rome- Return to Rome at the end of the tour.

8/14: Venice day tour from Rome – Return to Rome at the end of the tour.

8/15: Colosseum Half- Day tour

Any tips or advice on the plans me and my family are currently planning from the above?

Also, would anyone suggest replacing one of the above locations with a better tourist location?

I have heard blue Grotto or Costa Sorrento?

We are a group of 5 (parents and my two siblings) Looking to get the most of our short stay in Italy. We will be in Italy for two weeks, but the first week we will be involved in a family wedding. ( August 6- August 13)

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
Province of Naples, Italy
Amalfi Coast Drive
Amalfi Coast Drive
435 Reviews
Amalfi, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Colosseum
Colosseum
1,21,818 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Italy
Italy
Europe
Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
23,670 Reviews
from US$ 73.20*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,937 Reviews
from US$ 57.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Private...
546 Reviews
from US$ 389.80*
10 replies to this topic
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
38,199 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions on Itinerary

Trying to visit Pompeii and the AC as a day trip from Rome is unreasonable. It means you won't have enough time in either place to enjoy them and you'll spend more time in transit than you will enjoying these locations. Pompeii is fine as a day trip but cut out the AC part of it. You can plan this on your own and save a ton of money as well as time.

Venice is NOT a good day trip from Rome. It takes over 4 hours on the high speed train each way!

You cannot visit the Blue Grotto as a day trip from Rome.

I'm sorry, I don't know where you're getting these tour ideas from but you really should never visit that site again. Trying to visit these places from Rome is ridiculous. If you have one week and wish to visit two different places then that's what you should plan. Either visit Rome and Venice or Rome and the Naples area. If you do the Naples area you can visit Pompeii, the AC and Sorrento easily.

Donna

Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Naples
Naples
Sorrento
Sorrento
Warwickshire...
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions on Itinerary

Venice is not, in my opinion, a viable day trip from Rome - the average journey time is around 4 hours each way. Venice deserves more than a few hours which is all you will have left. I certainly wouldn't do it back to back with a day trip to Pompeii & the Amalfi Coast (but then I wouldn't consider that either for similar reasons). The Amalfi Coast road in August is a nightmare. Sorrento is a resort town that is the kicking off point for the Amalfi Coast drive. The blue grotto is an over-hyped attraction on Capri and you certainly don't have time to get there on a day trip.

Where is the wedding? Where are you flying into and out of? With that information we might be able to give you better suggestions. There is plenty enough in Rome itself to occupy a week without leaving the city.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Pompeii
Pompeii
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Amalfi Coast Drive
Amalfi Coast Drive
435 Reviews
Amalfi, Italy
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions on Itinerary

Just had friends come back from Italy, and they mentioned I must visit Venice!

The wedding will be in Naples, for the first week , and my second week I will be in Rome. I am flying out of Rome, and have about 3-4 days in Rome, to do some activities.

Thank you,

Robinson

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Naples
Naples
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
38,199 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions on Itinerary

Why not visit Pompeii while you're in Naples? It makes no sense to go to Rome only to go back to Naples to visit Pompeii.

Venice is NOT a day trip to be made from Rome. If you only have three days in Rome spend them all there.

Donna

Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
Naples
Naples
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Australia
Level Contributor
3,570 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions on Itinerary

Regarding #3. Beware of must-see advice and avoid gelateria syndrome: the desire to have everything, served on a small cone. Imagine living long enough to come back. Allow time for gentle appreciation and reflection, understanding a few places rather than acquiring a forest of incomprehensible selfies.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
35,586 posts
597 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions on Itinerary

This is just a bad idea on all accounts. The only logical tour you could do here is the Colosseum half day.

Mentioned in this post
Colosseum
Colosseum
1,21,818 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
256 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions on Itinerary

As others have suggested you should ditch the idea of visiting Venice, Its just too far away, you may get 3 or 4 hours there but would spend more than double that time on the train.

If it’s at all feasible leave it for another trip in the future.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Livonia, Michigan
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions on Itinerary

Hello Dennis. You seem very knowledgeable about Rome, at a slower, more enjoyable pace. Would you mind taking a look at my travel plans? We are traveling with our 90 yr old dad. Hoping we dont overwhelm him. Planned leisure visits to certain neighborhoods. He will not be with us on the catacombs & crypts tour. Thank you!!

Day 1, Tues: arrival. Hotel in Monti district. Visit Jewish Ghetto and Campo de Fiori

Day 2, Wed: Visit Monti neighborhood churches, Colosseum Belvedere tour 2:30pm

Day 3, Thurs: Visit Borgo/Prati neighborhood (Castle San Angelo), Vatican tour 2:30pm

Dinner at Ristorante Romolo alla Mole Adriana 7:00pm

Day 4, Fri: Spanish steps area, Borghese Gallery tour 11:00am, visit Via Margutta, Via Condotti, and Via del Corso shopping area

Day 5, Sat: Visit Trastevere neighborhood, Villa Farnesia, Catacombs & Crypts tour 5:00pm

Day 6, Sun: Domus Aurea tour 10:00am, visit Circus Maximus area?

I'm struggling with Sunday. Maybe just lazy day.

Day 7, Mon: Domus Romane di Palazzo tour 9:30am, visit Pantheon, Trevi…..

Day 8, Tues, Flight out at 10:00 am

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Campo de' Fiori
Campo de' Fiori
3,054 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Hotel Prati
Hotel Prati
240 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Vatican
Vatican
248 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Ristorante Romolo alla Mole Adriana
Ristorante Romolo alla...
947 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Via Margutta
Via Margutta
233 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Via Condotti
Via Condotti
861 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Via del Corso
Via del Corso
1,224 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Trastevere
Trastevere
12,716 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Domus Aurea
Domus Aurea
981 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Circus Maximus
Circus Maximus
1,643 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Pantheon
Pantheon
64,725 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Whittier, California
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions on Itinerary

Hi, I’m not Dennis, but I’m visiting Rome for my third time this fall. Your itinerary looks good. It looks like you have allowed an easy pace for your 90 year old to enjoy and you may be able to see a little more while you are there. Enjoy your visit.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Livonia, Michigan
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions on Itinerary

Thank you!Spent some time worrying about the itinerary. So many things to see in each neighborhood. Im excited

Reply to: Suggestions on Itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;