We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AVIS car rental - never again

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Topic
AVIS car rental - never again

I've rented luxury-rated cars in Europe before without an issue.

But in May when we arrived in Rome to collect our confirmed car from Avis the lady at the desk wouldn't accept my two credit cards (which is a requirement for luxury cars). The second card had my husband's surname and even though we're married and the booking had both of us as drivers - she wanted to see my name only. I didn't change my name when we married - it is the 21st century.

My husband has two credit cards in his name - and while she would accept these - she said she'd need to do a totally new booking at TODAY's rate - DOUBLE the confirmed booked rate. Even though my husband's name was included on the original booking.

She kept telling us she was offering us a "good deal". What?!?!?

We ended up driving away with a more affordable, but disappointing Ford Echo.

Later when I checked our English version of the contract, she had also added full comprehensive insurance, which I specifically said we didn't need (covered already by travel insurance).

Never again Avis.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
23,682 Reviews
from US$ 73.60*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,944 Reviews
from US$ 58.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Private...
547 Reviews
from US$ 430.70*
3 replies to this topic
London
Level Contributor
2,856 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AVIS car rental - never again

What a shame you could not meet the terms of the booking you had made.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
38,297 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AVIS car rental - never again

The terms and conditions of the booking state you must have two credit cards in the name of the primary driver which was you. If the name on the card wasn't the name you rented the car with that would be the issue. It's all clearly spelled out in the *terms and conditions* of the rental which, clearly, you did not read.

Avis did NOTHING wrong in this case.

Donna

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
833 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: AVIS car rental - never again

So if I'm understanding correctly you kept your maiden name after marriage but have one credit card with your maiden name and another card with your husband's name? I'm all for not changing your name after marriage but in this day and age of increased security I'd be making darn sure all my documents are in the same legal name.

Reply to: AVIS car rental - never again
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted