We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connection time in Rome (FCO) too short??

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Connection time in Rome (FCO) too short??

Hi !

I am booking an international flight (in the States) that arrives in Rome at 10:20am via TAP airlines in Terminal 3 at Fiumicino. I will need to retrieve by checked (hold) luggage and go through immigration.

I would then be taking a flight from Rome to Mykonos with Vueling located in terminal 3 and departing at 12:55pm. I will also be checking in luggage with Veuling and assume I will need to go through security again.

I will be booking these flights separately.

Do you guys think I will be able to make this connection?

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,429 Reviews
from US$ 83.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
537 Reviews
from US$ 415.20*
Special Offer
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
11,809 Reviews
from US$ 61.10*
US$ 67.90
Likely To Sell Out
Rome Colosseum Underground Chambers...
2,918 Reviews
from US$ 124.60*
10 replies to this topic
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
32,248 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Connection time in Rome (FCO) too short??

Depends on the inbound flight being on time and airport congestion

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,786 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connection time in Rome (FCO) too short??

I think it is very unlikely that you will make the connection. You should be in the check-in line for the second flight by 10.55, and you are not going to get off the plane, go through Immigration, and collect luggage in 35 minutes.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
35,898 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connection time in Rome (FCO) too short??

I would not call this "connection time", as that generally applies to airside transit, and you are taking unconnected flights, making a full arrival to landside (coming from outside Schengen, immigration followed by baggage reclaim followed by Customs) and then a full departure from landside (departing within Schengen, no passport control but indeed security checks).

Personally I would consider 3 hours between unconnected flights to be the minimum, given that it CAN take up to 1 hr for baggage to be delivered and that anyone coming from Rome itself should be at the check-in desk for the Mykonos flight 2 hrs before 12:55 hrs, i.e. 10:55 hrs - 35 mins after your plane from lands (IF it is on time).

I wouldn't book this myself, but I guess it depends on your tolerance for risk, with respect to having to buy new tickets if you miss the Mykonos flight (late arrival of your incoming flight/ baggage not being any acceptable reason for no-show when flights are on separate tickets). At least check when the next flight would be...

Mentioned in this post
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
New York
Level Contributor
2,769 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Connection time in Rome (FCO) too short??

I think you have a zero chance of making the flight to Mykonos. I wouldn't book it.

Mentioned in this post
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
33,976 posts
597 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Connection time in Rome (FCO) too short??

I wouldn't do this if I were you doing different flights in that time frame.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Connection time in Rome (FCO) too short??

Thank you all for your replies !

What do you think of a 9:45am arrival instead and then trying to make 12:55pm departure?

(Trying to make that 12:55pm flight as you can see!)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
32,248 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Connection time in Rome (FCO) too short??

Flights between Lisbon and Rome are treated as domestic flights, within the Schengen area.

Mentioned in this post
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lisbon District, Portugal
Italy
Level Contributor
7,657 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Connection time in Rome (FCO) too short??

The problem isn't the schedule it's what happens if something happens? Your flight might be delayed. Either or even both airlines might change the flight times.

If everything works well you'll be wondering why you've got such a long wait. But if anything goes wrong you'll need to buy a new expensive ticket on a route that's not the most frequent. When is the next flight by anybody to Mykonos ? Are you willing to wait until then?

Edited: 19 March 2018, 09:55
Mentioned in this post
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
New York
Level Contributor
2,769 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Connection time in Rome (FCO) too short??

You need to be in the check-in line for the second flight by 10.55. If your flight lands exactly at 9:45 you still only have 70 minutes to get off the plane, go through Immigration, and retrieve your luggage. Nobody can guarantee this. If you want to improve your chances you should not check luggage and only bring carryon. Still not a guarantee, but helps your odds. Personally I still wouldn't do it. I would fly to Athens instead of Rome or give myself a lot more time in between

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Italy
Level Contributor
7,657 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Connection time in Rome (FCO) too short??

Doesn't need to be at the check in line two hours early. If the OP wants to do this check in online. All they'll have to do is check the suitcase and clear security.

Two hours is the official time requirement but I've little doubt that most people don't get to the airport a full two hours early.

Reply to: Connection time in Rome (FCO) too short??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted