We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Timing question: Borghese to Colosseum

Level Contributor
1,255 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Timing question: Borghese to Colosseum

Trying in the right forum this time!

We booked our tickets to Borghese last month, for the 13:00-15:00 slot on Friday April 27th. We now have tickets to the Colosseum Underground Tour booked for 16:05. This timing is obviously far from ideal, we booked the Undergound Tour simply as back up in case there are no night tours this year - and with April just 2 weeks away, that seems increasingly likely, sadly.

My question is, would 15:30 be early enough to arrive at the Colosseum? We'd have to pickup our tickets and go theough the security screening, could all of that be done in 30-35 minutes? Or are we going to have to cut short our two hours in the Borgehse to be sure of being at the Colosseum even earlier than 15:30?

Mentioned in this post
Colosseum
Colosseum
1,23,996 Reviews
Rome, Italy
21 replies to this topic
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
38,879 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Timing question: Borghese to Colosseum

I wouldn't be comfortable with just half an hour. I would leave 15 minutes early from the Borghese and take a taxi to the colosseum. This way you shouldn't have any time issues.

Donna

Level Contributor
1,255 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Timing question: Borghese to Colosseum

Thanks, Donna - that confirms what I suspected. City mapper says that we could do it in 12 minutes from Flaminio to Colosseo at 15:01, so if we left the Borghese after 90 minutes and walked through the gardens to Flaminio, would that work?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
38,879 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Timing question: Borghese to Colosseum

Do you mean taking the metro? There would be a change of trains at the termini station.

Donna

Level Contributor
1,255 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Timing question: Borghese to Colosseum

Yes, the citymapper app does show that change, the 12 minute duration it gives is inclusive of that change. Would you advise against the Metro?

Australia
Level Contributor
4,161 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Timing question: Borghese to Colosseum

Definitely take a taxi and go all the way in it to the Colosseum The walk from the galleria to Flaminio or Spagna is quite long and you have to add in the finding and waiting for trains. And getting a space on the train. Too much friction in your plan.

Mentioned in this post
Colosseum
Colosseum
1,23,996 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
1,255 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Timing question: Borghese to Colosseum

Thanks for that Dennis. It was definitely not a plan, just a query. Apps are helpful, but they don't supply the sort of real world context that human experts like you and Donna do. Now I'm even more disappointed at the likely absence of Colosseum night tours - leaving the Borghese early is bad enough, but having to rush off without seeing the gardens and park at all is worse.

Mentioned in this post
Colosseum
Colosseum
1,23,996 Reviews
Rome, Italy
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
38,879 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Timing question: Borghese to Colosseum

You can always go back to the gardens and park, they are free to enter. Do that on an afternoon where you have nothing scheduled.

Donna

Level Contributor
1,255 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Timing question: Borghese to Colosseum

"You can always go back to the gardens and park, they are free to enter. Do that on an afternoon where you have nothing scheduled."

Ay, there's the rub. I know they're free to enter, but the only "free" afternoon we have is the afternoon we arrive. Still, several people suggested winding down with a wander, so maybe we'll do just that in the Borghese grounds

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
38,879 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Timing question: Borghese to Colosseum

You really shouldn't pack your itinerary so full that you don't have any free time. If something pops up you'll want to be able to include it in your day.

Donna

Level Contributor
1,255 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Timing question: Borghese to Colosseum

It's not so much a full itinerary as a very short stay - we arrive on Thursday afternoon, leave for Florence Sunday morning. Friday morning's a much-awaited meeting with friends who live 40 minutes out of town, and we both wanted to see the Villa d'Este and Parco Gregoriana, so that's most of Saturday gone. .

I know we're cramming too much, but this trip is a one-off for us thanks to an unexpected windfall, and the determining factor in my planning is what my wife wants to see, which is "as much as possible" Because of my CP, She's been the primary income earner for the 25 years of our marriage, so to the extent humanly possible, I'm trying to accommodate everything she wants to do during our month. If being exhausted from rushing everywhere is the price I must pay to give her the holiday she wants, I'll pay it.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Villa d'Este
Villa d'Este
5,266 Reviews
Tivoli, Italy
Hotel Gregoriana
Hotel Gregoriana
158 Reviews
Rome, Italy