We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

High Speed Train from Rome in June - to Naples or Salerno?

Boston...
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
High Speed Train from Rome in June - to Naples or Salerno?

We are going to Rome first then traveling to Amalfi by high speed train. Is there one high speed train line better over another as well as having a transfer from train station to bring us to Amalfi, which is easier/closest train station, Naples or Salerno. Thank you!

14 replies to this topic
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,228 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: High Speed Train from Rome in June - to Naples or Salerno?

Salerno. Look at a map! From Salerno station you can continue to Amalfi by taxi, bus or ferry (45 mins) and the Piazza Concordia landing stage is not far from the station. See www.positano.com/en/ferry-schedule…

If you go to Naples, then unless arranging a private transfer from there, you would have to transfer to the Circumvesuviana/ Campania Express train (operated by EAV, not Trenitalia) to Sorrento and then take SITA bus (or a taxi) to Amalfi, or you would be taking a taxi/tram from Napoli Centrale station to the ferry port (Molo Beverello) and then taking a ferry to Sorrento, then Positano, then Amalfi.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
98,229 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: High Speed Train from Rome in June - to Naples or Salerno?

There is only one high speed train line, although it is used by two companies.

For the best prices on the fast trains, book direct with the train operator as far ahead as possible. Trenitalia is now selling tickets for fast trains 6 months ahead of travel. Italo is rather less predictable. The cost of discounted tickets keeps going up as the travel date gets closer. You can get train times and prices and make bookings at www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en or its competitor on major routes, www.italotreno.it/en using the Italian versions of town names for both sites.

Boston...
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: High Speed Train from Rome in June - to Naples or Salerno?

I did look at a map, thank you!!! I am not familiar with the traffic and area so that is why I inquired. Thank you for the information.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,138 posts
76 reviews
4. Re: High Speed Train from Rome in June - to Naples or Salerno?

Since on the fast train from Rome you can get off at either Naples or Salerno, Salerno is the farther destination that allows you to walk to the ferry that takes you on to Amalfi.

If you get off the fast train earlier at Naples, you will need to choose between a number of combinations (or one car service ride) to go on to Amalfi.

Naples, Italy
7 posts
5. Re: High Speed Train from Rome in June - to Naples or Salerno?

I’ve been scoring some very inexpensive tickets lately via Italo. For you, I just chose a random date in April and Rome to Salerno, nonstop, can be as low as €10!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
135 posts
9 reviews
6. Re: High Speed Train from Rome in June - to Naples or Salerno?

Hello,

Pardon me jumping into this conversation . I am also looking at booking a fast train from Rome to SALERNO

on May 22nd. Italo is a very good price for a senior like me (69 years old) can I book this low price even though I

am a tourist? Some counties just off er lower prices for their seniors. Also can you explain the "Smart" fare on the web site versus other categories? Thank you

Boston...
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: High Speed Train from Rome in June - to Naples or Salerno?

Thank you!!

Orange County...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
23 reviews
8. Re: High Speed Train from Rome in June - to Naples or Salerno?

If you click on "Smart" or one of the other categories you will see a description of the differences.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
98,229 posts
17 reviews
9. Re: High Speed Train from Rome in June - to Naples or Salerno?

All the prices on Trenitalia and Italo are available to anyone, except the CartaFreccia fares on Trenitalia. These require a loyalty card that is available only to Italian residents.

nj
Level Contributor
263 posts
18 reviews
10. Re: High Speed Train from Rome in June - to Naples or Salerno?

Any idea which train station is closest to the ferry?

Reply to: High Speed Train from Rome in June - to Naples or Salerno?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted