We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Station Confusion?

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,485 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Train Station Confusion?

Ciao, tutti

I have been looking at the train schedule from Orvieto to Roma, and sometimes it says Rome Termini & Rome Tibertina? Is this two different stations? For example, the train leaves at 8:30am and arrives in Rome at 9:30am and it lists both stations. Does this mean that two trains leave Orvieto at the same time going to different stations? If not, how could one train arrive two places at once? I am confused!!!!

Aiuto!!!

Vicki

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Station Confusion?

Yes, Termini and Tiburtina are two different stations. Does it say "Ro Tib" in red underneath "Roma Te" in blue? I've always assumed that it gets to Roma Termini at the time it says (in your case 9.30am) but stops at Roma Tiburtina on the way.

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,485 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Station Confusion?

Well, the times I gave were ones that I made up, but yes, that's exactly what it says. So you think if it says it's going to Termini, that I can expect the time listed to be the time I get to Termini (assuming no strikes?)

That would certainly clear it up!

Thank you!

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,485 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Station Confusion?

Sorry...one more question. Going back to Orvieto from Rome, there's good chance that we would have to leave from Rome Tib as it doesn't show the time we want leaving from Termini. Is our best option just to get cab? It's hard to say where we'll be, but most likely in central Rome somewhere having dinner.

Vic

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,485 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Station Confusion?

Me again...I meant get a cab to Rome Tib, not all the way to Orvieto.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Station Confusion?

Yes, the time listed is the time it would arrive at Termini (which is about 10 minutes after Tiburtina).

For getting to Tiburtina, I guess it depends on where you're going to be. A taxi would be simplest from wherever you are - you don't have to worry then. But Tiburtina is on the Metro - 4 stops from Termini on Line B. So if you're near a Metro station (esp if it's a line B station), you could do that.

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Station Confusion?

If it says both Rome Tib and Rome Termini, it means the train stops at both these Rome stations; some trains don't stop at Tiburtina but go straight through to Termini.

Then end destination is the one in Red.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Station Confusion?

Hang on.. the end destination is the one in RED? Are you sure?

I thought the one in red was the one it stopped at 'on the way' - Tiburtina is in red. And going into Florence from Pisa, Firenze Rifredi is in red, and the final destination is definitely S.M.N.

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,485 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train Station Confusion?

Okay, are you guys deliberately trying to confuse me to get your daily dose of imagining poor me scratching my blonde head? You two duke it out and let me know who wins - red or blue :-)

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,766 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train Station Confusion?

vickisfloyd,

The one in blue is the final destination and the time listed is when it arrives. Check by clicking on details then on the train number.

Linz
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train Station Confusion?

Maybe this link can solve your confusion. It's a europe-wide train timetable, used by most railway companies (but not trenitalia)... it has all trains in Europe and parts of Asia is much easier to use:

http://fahrplan.oebb.at/bin/query.exe/en