We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the distance between Vatican and Central Rome?

ATL
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
What is the distance between Vatican and Central Rome?

We will be in Rome from April 7th-11th this year and really want to see the best of Rome as well as the Vatican. I'm sure we can attempt to fit this into four days. Can anyone recommend any good hotels that are located between these locations?

Likely To Sell Out
Waking Up the Vatican: VIP...
82 Reviews
from US$ 529.10*
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
24,287 Reviews
from US$ 73.10*
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,187 Reviews
from US$ 57.70*
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: What is the distance between Vatican and Central Rome?

Hi dirklucy,

You might check out this website:

http://en.venere.com/hotels_rome/?ref=110930

It is Venere.com website and the link is for Rome. You can pick the area you want to stay and it will give you lots of hotels in the area. You can read reviews of those that have stayed in the hotels and see photos of the rooms also. We booked our stay at Crowne Plaza St. Peter's through them. You might want to look in the Trevi area as they have lots of nice hotels and that would be a central location for you.

I am sure others will have some great suggestions also.

Enjoy your visit. What a great time to be in Rome! You can see a lot in 4 days. I would also suggest that you book tours of the Vatican and Colosseum and then do some sightseeing on your own.

May

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,614 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: What is the distance between Vatican and Central Rome?

Hi again,

I just found this nice website that has lots of info for you:

www.rome-accom.com/eng/trevi/map-trevi.shtml

It gives a nice overview of the different areas of Rome. It says it's about a 20 min. walk from the Spanish Steps to the Vatican.

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,154 posts
208 reviews
3. Re: What is the distance between Vatican and Central Rome?

Hi

I see that some posters are worried about the location of the hotel in Rome and how they will be able to get to the different locations. My wife and I went to Rome a couple of years back and we stayed near Termini and that was not a problem at all. I have a couple of links that might be of some help First of all I have made a Google map of Rome that shows you where some of the attractions are located and you can find this map here: http://gardkarlsen.com/rome_italy_map.htm

Another useful link is http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ . This is a Google map tool where you can measure distances. With this you can zoom in on Rome (or any other place) and measure distances from one attraction to another.

Another useful page is http://mapfrappe.com/ . On this page there are two maps...first indicate a know area on the top map (e.g. an area of NYC or another city that you are familiar with )...and then zoom in on Rome on the lower map. Now you will get an outline of NYC on Rome and that should give you an idea when it comes to size.

Here is the trip report with pictures and links that I made after the Rome trip: http://gardkarlsen.com/rome_italy.htm

Hope this helps

Regards

Gard

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
37 reviews
4. Re: What is the distance between Vatican and Central Rome?

We stayed at Visconti Palace Hotel, which was a fifteen minute walk to the Vatican in one direction, and the same to Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps and Piazza Navona the other way. The Colosseum and Forum was the furthest away, and that took about thirty five minutes. We didn't need to take public transport at all during our week in Rome. We would definitely stay at Visconti Palace again. Nice quiet area too, away from all the hustle and bustle of the city, but with plenty of shops and restaurants within walking distance.

knb
colorado
Level Contributor
705 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: What is the distance between Vatican and Central Rome?

The most centrally located area for the all the sites (Vatican, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, and Colloseum is the Pantheon/Piazza Navona area. Someone posted earlier that it is a 20 min. walk from the Spanish Steps to the Vatican. Well, we stayed in the Pantheon area and found that the Spanish Steps were about a 15-20 min. walk from that area, and the Vatican and Colloseum was about 30 min. Depending on where you stay there are metro, bus, and taxis available. Keep doing research on this forum, there is a lot of valuable information. Enjoy!

virginia, usa
10 posts
6. Re: What is the distance between Vatican and Central Rome?

Personally, I have to recommend staying in the area around Piazza Navona (north or south of the Corso E. V. II) because it is within walking distance of everything in the historic center, the Vatican, and the Spanish steps, and Campo Fiori and Trastevere. You can get to the Colosseum and St. John Lateran's by bus from this area easily & taxis are abundant too.

You can always take the #64 from a stop on the corso to Termini Station and ASK which bus goes to your destination. THere is a full time clerk by the bus ramps that does nothing but answer those type of questions all day.

If you are going to see such sights as the Pantheon, the Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona and the Vatican this area (Piazza Navona) is ideally located.

The first couple of times we stayed with the American nuns at Istituto S. Guiliana Falconeri and felt very safe and comfortable. Luxury costs in Rome, and convents are not noted for luxury, but there are others that are more upscale near the Spanish steps and in the Campo Fiori.

Google convent accomodations Rome and see if there's anything that strikes your fancy.

Are you going to the Papal Mass for Easter at St. Peter's?

Tickets are free for the asking. Pick up at S. Susanna or the North American College on Via Umilta.

Hope you have a great time. Rome is bellissima!

7. Re: What is the distance between Vatican and Central Rome?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 07:49