We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Italy in August

Oxford, United...
4 posts
Visiting Italy in August

We are going to be flying in and out of Rome with 13 days in Italy in early August with 2 kids age 8 and 11.

Our basic itinerary so far is 3 nights in Rome then getting a train or maybe hire car to drive to Salerno and using it as a base for the rest of the holiday. We would drive from there to Pompeii as a day trip, and visit the amalfi coast.

The main reason we identified Salerno is that due to the heat that time of year we want a pool, and hotels seem more affordable than the towns on the Amalfi coast.

We are open to different options, I.e. would it be better to use trains and buses rather than driving as I’ve read it’s quite demanding around the Amalifi coast. Also are there better locations to use as a base with 9 days for the Southern part of the trip?

Many thanks

Best Seller
Ruins of Pompeii & Mt Vesuvius Day...
3,849 Reviews
from US$ 140.90*
Best Seller
Small-Group Pompeii with Amalfi Coast...
408 Reviews
from US$ 210.20*
Best Seller
Mt. Vesuvius and Pompeii Day Trip...
1,676 Reviews
from US$ 105.70*
5 replies to this topic
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
33,618 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Visiting Italy in August

Check hotels in Salerno and Vietrie Sul Mare (nearby) www.booking.com www.bed-and-breakfast.it

Amalfi coast ferries depart from Salerno www.alicost.it www.travelmar.it

Buses Salerno to Amalfi, Amalfi to Ravello and Amalfi to Sorrento www.sitasudtrasporti.it enter region "Campania' click on Orari for current bus times.

Trains Rome to Salerno to Vietri to Pompei www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en

www.rome.info www.timeout.com/rome www.amalficoast.com www.turismoinsalerno.it www.livesalerno.com/vietri-sul-mare www.pompeiisites.org www.visitischia.com www.capri.net www.timeout.comnaples

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Visiting Italy in August

Don't drive. Take the train. Once in Salerno, you can get around the Amalfi Coast by ferries and busses. You might want to add a night to Rome - so much to see and do there.

Level Contributor
3,253 posts
102 reviews
3. Re: Visiting Italy in August

Rome is incredibly hot in August so plan your days accordingly. Plan outdoor sightseeing earlier and later in day. I would also look into Sorrento as a base.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
39,632 posts
658 reviews
4. Re: Visiting Italy in August

It was hot in Rome in late March when we went and definitely in Pompeii, I can't imagine how hot it would be in August and I am from Houston where temps are 100 degrees Fahreinhet from June thru August.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
3,215 posts
23 reviews
5. Re: Visiting Italy in August

Pompeii is really hot in August with really no place to hide. No trees and most of the roofs are gone. The heat reflects off of the stone streets, and it really is miserable. I suggest you do it first thing in the morning.

Reply to: Visiting Italy in August
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted