We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Climbing Mt Vesuvius and other questions

Emirate of Abu...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Climbing Mt Vesuvius and other questions

Can anyone help me with some insight? My family and I will be in Rome in mid December. We want to take a day and climb Vesuvius. Possible? Where do we start? We also want to do the ruins and Herculean and are looking at spending a night or 2 in either Naples, Pompeii or Sorrento, making day trips to do these activities. Where should we stay?

Help

B

Best Seller
Ruins of Pompeii & Mt Vesuvius Day...
3,807 Reviews
from US$ 142.60*
Best Seller
Small-Group Pompeii with Amalfi Coast...
388 Reviews
from US$ 212.70*
Best Seller
Mt. Vesuvius and Pompeii Day Trip...
1,663 Reviews
from US$ 106.90*
4 replies to this topic
London
Level Contributor
3,235 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Climbing Mt Vesuvius and other questions

Remember that daylight hours are quite short in December, so if you are visiting Vesuvius etc you really need to do it in the morning, so you need to staying locally rather than traveling from Rome.

If you use the search facilities on TA you will be able to see lots of advice on how and where to travel to and from.

You also need to check the web for the relevant opening times

Emirate of Abu...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Climbing Mt Vesuvius and other questions

Thank you. Yes we want to stay close. Is Naples the best bet? Had the garbage issue been resolved?

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
17,760 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Climbing Mt Vesuvius and other questions

There was a big issue with garbage a few years ago, it is not an ongoing feature of the city. On the other hand, if the only type of city you are comfortable in is like Singapore, then Naples probably is not for you. It is not pristine but you do not find piles of trash on the streets either.

Regarding Vesuvio, it is a steep one mile walk from the parking lot to the edge of the crater, most people can accomplish it in a half hour or so. When in the day to go should depend on the weather. If it is overcast in the morning wait until later in the day. If you have a nice clear morning, head right there.

Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Climbing Mt Vesuvius and other questions

Sorrento is beautiful. The trains are cheap and it takes about 50mins on the train. Return €2.40. We read lots of bad things re Naples ie pick pockets and women not going places on their own.

You can do Pompeii and Vesuvius in 1 day depending on how long you spend at pompeii. We missed a few things and were there 5 hours. I wouldnt have wanted to rush. We are planning herculaneun and Vesuvius tomorrow as they are closer together.

Edited: 24 October 2017, 23:01
Reply to: Climbing Mt Vesuvius and other questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted