We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pickpockets on the Circumvesuviana train today

Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
Pickpockets on the Circumvesuviana train today

A gang of 3 worked the Circumvesuviana today. They were on the train when it pulled up at Pompeii Scavi heading back to Naples and as the large crowd boarded the train they pushed to get off it. A well-dressed guy stood just inside the train door, I suspect taking booty from the two junkie thugs as they pushed their way through picking pockets. I saw them coming and shoved my hands in my pockets just as thug #1 went for it. He only took his hand out and backed off when I screamed in his face, at which point they knew they were busted and jumped off the train.

These guys were easy to pick amongst the tourists and easy-going locals. Dead-eyed junkies in cheap track suits and bad caps look the same all over the world!

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Province of Naples, Italy
Guide Pompei
Sightseeing Tours
Pompei Guide Service
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Archaeology Tours, Private Tours
48 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27,150 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pickpockets on the Circumvesuviana train today

they are as likely to be 14 year old girls or perfectly average looking guys in the same clothes everyone else is wearing and usually you don't spot them. The only way to protect yourself is to not have valuables in your pockets, backpacks or otherwise carelessly offered up to these organized criminals.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,543 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pickpockets on the Circumvesuviana train today

Our mantra: assume they're there, stow preventatively.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
34,239 posts
597 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pickpockets on the Circumvesuviana train today

Keep an eye on things at all times.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27,150 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pickpockets on the Circumvesuviana train today

An eye doesn't work (except luggage of course). They are professional organized criminals for the most part run by Eastern European crime families. They can usually relieve you of you valuables without you even noticing. I remember the time my husband put his hand in his pocket and found a hand already in his pocket -- a teen girl. He had no idea until he felt her hand with his. They can't steal things from your pockets if you don't keep valuables there.

Kalispell, Montana...
Level Contributor
1,865 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pickpockets on the Circumvesuviana train today

If these guys were as obvious as you say, there is a very good chance they are just a distraction for the real thieves.

Emerald Isle, North...
Level Contributor
39 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pickpockets on the Circumvesuviana train today

So, where do you carry you money, phone and camera?

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
16,136 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pickpockets on the Circumvesuviana train today

There are lots of ways to secrete your belongings, inside zippered pockets, under clothing holders, cross-body bags with zippers and locks, etc.

Standing (or sitting, if you're lucky) on a crowded commuter train staring at your phone is just asking for it.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
34,239 posts
597 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pickpockets on the Circumvesuviana train today

"An eye doesn't work (except luggage of course). They are professional organized criminals for the most part run by Eastern European crime families."

Sure it does if you come from a city like Chicago. I never for instance keep in a wallet in my back pocket, always in my front pocket.

CA
Level Contributor
9,760 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pickpockets on the Circumvesuviana train today

No way in the world would I have a wallet in my pocket.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
16,136 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pickpockets on the Circumvesuviana train today

I think you're pretty safe from pickpockets in Chicago with your wallet in a front pocket but Europe is a whole other matter. Whether we want to admit it or not, criminals in the States take a less refined approach, mugging is more common than pick pocketing, which actually requires some skill development.

Gangs in Europe are actually trained to distract and relieve you of your valuables without you being aware of it happening.

Reply to: Pickpockets on the Circumvesuviana train today
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted