We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stray dogs

3 posts
Save Topic
Stray dogs

I was told by a friend who visited Pompeii several years ago that there were stray dogs everywhere who looked pitiful. I wanted to know if this is true I'm an animal lover and this would break my heart

Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
Province of Naples, Italy
Ruins of Pompeii & Mt Vesuvius Day...
3,691 Reviews
from US$ 142.90*
Small-Group Pompeii with Amalfi Coast...
355 Reviews
from US$ 213.20*
Free Cancellation
Mt. Vesuvius and Pompeii Day Trip...
1,631 Reviews
from US$ 107.20*
Free Cancellation
15 replies to this topic
2 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Stray dogs

I was there two days ago. There are several 'free dogs' / 'cani liberi' that live in Pompeii. They all have names. They look very well fed, some too well fed, and I believe there are volunteer vets who check on them. They were welcomed in a local restaurant and everyone was treating them well. However, I still found it heart breaking. Then again these dogs are free to do what they want, when they want. They are fed, have shelter, lots of company and virtually no traffic.

Edited: 04 October 2017, 16:35
Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
2 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Stray dogs

https:/…

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,978 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Stray dogs

I was there a week ago. 3 dogs, no sign of aggression at all. I took a photo of a sweet collie-type which just lay there while I took it. All very healthy looking.

All through Italy the animals we saw look well, even the stray cats, which some kind people seem to feed. Nowhere was overun with strays. Even the horses for the tourists looked good, and I've seen some very sad looking ones elsewhere.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
1 post
Save Reply
14. Re: Stray dogs

I saw like 2 or 3 stray dogs while I was there but they didn't look like they were starving. I think the staff at Pompeii feeds them since I did see them letting cats inside the ticket booth and feeding them.

Mentioned in this post
Pompeii
Pompeii
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
36,579 posts
599 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Stray dogs

You will see a few of them but pay them no attention.

Reply to: Stray dogs
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted