We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Sorrento to Naples/Ishia

Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Sorrento to Naples/Ishia

Planning on a trip to Italy in late Sept and early Oct. Coming from Sorrento to spend 3 days in Naples before flying out and have booked hotel in Plebiscito area (near shopping I hear) and walking distance to port and historic centre.

Couple of questions. I've heard Ishia ranked high - even higher than Capris by many people here. If we have 3 days in Naples - is it worth spending a day of it in Ishia ?

If yes - best to go there by boat from Sorrento or by boat/bus/train when in Naples ?

Would a day trip walking around in Ishia be the best use of our time or spending time at a spa/resort/beach ? My read is the latter implying a day trip.

Alternatively - if going straight in to Naples from Sorrento - could take a train, bus, private car or boat - I'm reading that best bet is to see Bay of Naples by boat meaning we'd land at port and walk to hotel with carry on luggage. Assuming thesis better than train as th estation is on other side of historic site.

Ok - that was more than 2 questions :-) Any advice appreciated.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,175 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Sorrento to Naples/Ishia

"If we have 3 days in Naples - is it worth spending a day of it in Ischia ? "

yes

Ischia is lovely. I have spent a day aty negombo and enjoyed it. There is also a lovely castle you can tour. There is a botanical garden also. Great beaches. Shopping on Ischia is great in the stretch between the Port and ischia Ponte. We spent 3 days On Ischia in May 2008.

Ischia is best reached from Naples. There are many boats between Naples and Ischia all day. In the summer there is one direct boat from Sorrento to ischia, and one going back each day.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Sorrento to Naples/Ishia

No point in me comparing Capri and Ischia; as actions speak louder than words, I'll just say that a decade ago (this very week probably!) we decided to move here from London - and arrived in March 2003...

As to whether it's worth coming for a day, that does rather depend on what you'd forego to do so?

Try here for pictures and a few lines about other places you might consider whilst in the area:

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/tele

We've had lots of previous threads about daytrips to Ischia - and, hopefully, you'll not mind me directing you to a few? Should be safe to ignore any comments re the state of things in February, as the season will still have several weeks to run after you'd be here!

In no particular order:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187782-i162-k40…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g580214-i10609-k…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187782-i162-k40…

For almost anything we managed to miss - and current stuff such as opening times and prices - see the island's mostly-bilingual visitor magazine.... €1.50 for the printed version once here, or download a PDF of the September edition using:

ischianews.com/images/phocadownload/Magazine…

I'll be back with some transport stuff later!

Peter

Ed: Duuh - if it wasn't sewn on....

For a sight of the island, and various bits and pieces of advice, try the 1000s of photos that start from:

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/allaboutischia

Edited: 21 September 2012, 12:48
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Sorrento to Naples/Ishia

For getting here, etc....

Although Sorrento has year-round services to both Capri (ferry ships and hydrofoils) and Naples (hydrofoils only, c.5 or 6 per day), there's only this one daily hydrofoil, operated by the Alilauro line, that comes to Ischia - aimed at bringing visitors for the day, and returning them afterwards:

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/131364851

Currently they're not showing October details for that on their timetable, but in all recent years it has operated until the end of the month - and over the phone they've told me those are only missing because they haven't yet decided whether to also cover the holiday weekend after November 1st - Ogni Santi...

alilauro.it/oraridal16Settembreal3Novembre.p…

That arrives at our main harbour, Ischia Porto:

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/110236626

.. although in all we've three ports with year-round connections to Naples - give or take Christmas Day:

Ischia Porto and Casamicciola (both served by ferry ships and hydrofoils of various lines)

Forio (Alilauro hydrofoils only)

----------------------------------

Worth noting that in the main harbour in Naples the ferries and hydrofoils operate from different quays - a walk of some 10 minutes, or a shuttlebus ride, apart:

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/129557300

... with just a few of Ischia hydrofoils (some of them having started out from, or on the way to, Beverello) using the city's second harbour at Mergellina. Whilst a nicer place to wait, those aren't very frequent - and it's slightly further from your hotel!

This new version of the bus, tram, Metro etc map may be a help....

unicocampania.it/files/mappe/zona_centro.pdf

Try zooming in and you'll see how, from your hotel, both Beverello and the Porta di Massa aren't far away?

If you want, there are printable copies of just the central parts of that here and here:

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/146049847

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/146049848

Select "original" from the list under them to get the big versions

Given the choice, I'd come to Ischia from Naples, and try to use the ferry at least once - almost worth it for the sightseeing alone!

Perhaps look at these in reverse order, since they show the journey from here TO Naples?

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/i_to_n

Actually, that's not entirely true..... if in your situation, what I'd opt for would be to drop a night from either of the other places - and instead move on from Sorrento to Ischia, and spend it here before eventually crossing to Naples.... possibly saving the cost of a sea trip or two, and getting myself much longer on the island!

Peter

Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Sorrento to Naples/Ishia

Wow - Great advice !!

Sounds like ferry is the way to go regardless of from Sorrento to Naples, Naples to Ishia or Sorrento to Ishia for the views.

If I were to stay a night in Ishia - where would you recommend ?

If I were to visit one spa/resort/beach on Ishia - where would you recommend ?

If we were walking around, shopping, dining - I presume Ishia Porto would be the best ?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Sorrento to Naples/Ishia

A few hotels? I'd better start with this - very popular, and with the big advantage of being on the harbourside, so handy for coming and going:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g580214-d9520…

At the other extreme, people rarely get the chance to stay somewhere quite like:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g580214-d5643…

... actually in the nuns cells of the former convent, on the Castello islet!

A couple of places inbetween those two, more or less midway - and perhaps somewhat more affordable....

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g580214-d7770…

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g580214-d2723…

... whose merits got debated only recently:

.... which will also tell you all about the area we prefer - but do bear in mind that from the harbour at Porto to the castle at Ponte is no great distance....

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/136016531

Of the spas, we'd pick Negombo if it's open - otherwise Poseidon... although Castiglione is a lot nearer to our end of the island...

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/spagards

Peter

cornwall uk
Level Contributor
3,950 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Sorrento to Naples/Ishia

After viewing this forum, more for info, than giving any tips. I must say well done to A.Brit in Isc, for giving so much info, you are a credit to the forum.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from Sorrento to Naples/Ishia

Thanks - and let's hope that inquisitiveness may turn into a pleasurable visit?

Peter

8. Re: Travel from Sorrento to Naples/Ishia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2013, 15:46