We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naples to Santorini

Austin, Texas
3 posts
Naples to Santorini

I see that this has already been posted once, but since it was four years ago, I thought I'd ask again. I would like to figure out the most joyful as well as affordable way to get from Naples to Santorini.

When I look up various ferries' schedules from Brindisi to Santorini (the ones that list that they go to Santorini) all of the schedules are outdated and none of them even lists the leg that goes to Santorini. So I'm wondering if you could give me at least the exact company that does, the cost and the length of time? It also occurs to me (having traveled in Europe before, that sometimes when you're purchasing tickets in advance from a foreign country that you're getting ripped off. I.e.. the ticket is exorbitantly more expensive or isn't really useful to you without purchasing something else once you get to the location where you thought you were going to use it. Can you shed some light on this?

Also, for some extra freedom of mobility and possibly a place to recharge when needed, I wondered about renting a car in Naples, and taking it with us on a ferry (if possible) to Santorini. Any idea if this is allowed (by the rental car companies) and how much it would cost?

I also saw some ferry boats stating that they now allow camping on the boat. What would camping on a ferry boat entail?

Thanks,

KC

Toronto, ONT
Level Contributor
770 posts
77 reviews
1. Re: Naples to Santorini

I checked http://www.aferry.com/ The only ferries they list for Santorini are ones to Greek destinations (Athens, Rodos, etc). Blu Express flies directly from Rome FCO to Santorini (JTR) http://www.blu-express.com. That probably looks as the fastest option.

Campagnano di Roma...
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
51 reviews
2. Re: Naples to Santorini

Personally, I would fly. There's a direct daily Alitalia flight from Naples to Athens. At Athens you could either connect with the Greek flights to Santorini, or go to Pireaus (the port of Athens) and book on a ferry.

Regarding ferries, there are no ferries from Italy direct to Santorini. You have to go first to Patras and then go overland to Pireaus from where the ferries to the Aegean islands leave from. In Italy, the port of Bari is a lot closer than Brindisi. There's a Superfast ferry from Bari to Patras leaving every evening at 8 p.m., arriving at Patras the next day about noon. With a bit of luck you could then get to Pireaus in time for the evening Blue Star ferry which pulls into Santorini sometime after midnight, stopping en route at Paros and Naxos.

You need to do some research either with a Lonely Planet or other guide book, and get acquainted with the Greek ferry lines' internet sites for exact hours. Forget the idea of trying to take an Italian rental car to Greece. Even if the rental agency would authorize it, it would cost an arm and a leg. Rent one when you get to Santorini from a local agency. Then, camping on board is only for those passengers with a camper or camping trailer.

Edited: 29 March 2010, 21:57
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Naples to Santorini

That's spooky because just this weekend the paper here had a report that the newly-reorganised Meridiana airline will be flying from Naples to Crete - from where, as I recollect, Santorini is all too close (or at least, so you might have thought if you'd been a Minoan!).

Seems not to be on their website yet but the Italian stories have it that they be flying to Heraklion from June 12th to 11th September, with fares from 77 Euro.

Try this....

http://news.google.it/news/search?aq=f&pz=1&cf=all&ned=it&hl=it&q=meridiana+napoli+heraklion

The airport and the flight may not be lovely, but Crete is!

And yes, they're also flying Naples/New York.

Peter

Austin, Texas
3 posts
4. Re: Naples to Santorini

Thank you for your help.

KC

Austin, Texas
3 posts
5. Re: Naples to Santorini

Yes, I think I might be extra "tuned in" having been born in Napoli.

Thank you for your suggestion.

KRC

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
33,132 posts
6. Re: Naples to Santorini

An affordable way, though maybe not the most enjoyable, could be flying via Milan. Meridiana, Easyjet and Aegean do flights to Santorini from there, though not every day and not all year. And there are many cheap flights, e.g. Easyjet, from Naples to Milan.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
33,929 posts
17 reviews
7. Re: Naples to Santorini

Rome - Athens - Santorini www.aegeanair.com

8. Re: Naples to Santorini

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2010, 11:46