We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area for us...

Dublin
Level Contributor
306 posts
32 reviews
29 helpful votes
Best area for us...
Save

Hi. My friend & I are going to Naples for 4 nights in September and I am trying to figure out where best to stay.

We plan to take a day trip to Capri and possibly to Herculaneum another day so would like to be close to the port (or within 20 mins walk max) and wherever we need to depart for Herculaneum. I need an area that is safe at night for two female travellers but has a bit of a buzz about it with restaurants, cafes, bars, shops/market etc within walking distance. Obviously, we will be taking the necessary safety precautions walking around like we would anywhere else.

I was looking at an apartment in the Spanish Quarter until I read some posts on here about there being safer areas. Would welcome your suggestions.

Thanks in advance ☺

6 replies to this topic
New York
Level Contributor
50,153 posts
1. Re: Best area for us...
Save

Anywhere in the historic district will be fine.

Some people are not comfortable in the Spanish Quarter but others, like me, love it. I have stayed there for a few weeks at a time a number of visits as a solo female and felt fine, my city street smarts are always on wherever I am.

The motorbikes in those narrow tangle of streets are something you need to pay close attention to, as in not walking while looking down at your phone or stopping in the middle of the street to look at something or your phone. It is chaotic and fascinating to me, to others, it’s intimidating.

You might like the area around Piazza Bellini, and piazza Dante

Dublin
Level Contributor
306 posts
32 reviews
29 helpful votes
2. Re: Best area for us...
Save

Thank you so much, MCat- I'll look into your suggestions now. Was just reading about the Chiara area - seems safe as well but not too far from the Spanish Quarter so we could have the best of both worlds. What do you think?

New York
Level Contributor
50,153 posts
3. Re: Best area for us...
Save

It is a nice area and not from the bay too but I find it a bit less interesting than the others but just by a bit. Nothing about it excites me as does the other areas but that, of course, is subjective.

It is easy to get to much of the center by walking anyway or jumping on a metro so if you go out at night in another part of the city you can get back to where you are staying easily enough

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
5,813 posts
34 reviews
127 helpful votes
4. Re: Best area for us...
Save

Chiaia area is totally different from the Spanish Quarters as it's middle/upper class and sort of orderly by Neapolitan standards. It also was developed mostly from the XVIII century onwards, featuring lots of Art Nouveau architecture, so it looks very "modern" compared to other parts of Central Naples.

Dublin
Level Contributor
306 posts
32 reviews
29 helpful votes
5. Re: Best area for us...
Save

Thank you both. Think Piazza Bellini could be what we are looking for so thanks for that MCat!

Virginia
Level Contributor
7,224 posts
3 reviews
5 helpful votes
6. Re: Best area for us...
Save

I loved Piazza Bellini--breakfast is important to me, and they have a nice spread.

We splurged for the terrace room even though it was only one night, and to our pleasant surprise it gave us a direct view of fireworks. We walked all over from there.

Reply to: Best area for us...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.