We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Convenient location for visiting Naples area attractions

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
4 posts
62 reviews
Convenient location for visiting Naples area attractions

My husband and I want to find a good place to stay that will make it convenient to visit Pompeii and Herculaneum. We are traveling Italy in a rental car. We are spending one night 10/9 near Paestum. Then we will spent 10/10 - 10/16 exploring Naples area before turning in car at the airport before flying to Sardinia. Maybe not too far from Naples airport, but not necessarily.

Also, is it better to book a tour that will take us to either of the ruins?. Or would we be better off driving there ourselves?

1 reply
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
18,262 posts
43 reviews
1. Re: Convenient location for visiting Naples area attractions

I would save money on the rental and turn it in, then stay in Naples for a couple of days while visiting Pompei and Herculeneum. They are each very easy to reach using public transit and a car is a liability, parking is expensive and you can't leave anything in the car.

Not to mention ZTLs, which exist in pretty much every city and town of any size or with a historic center. If you're not familiar with them please read up on them before driving anywhere in Italy.

Edited: 08 August 2018, 05:48
Reply to: Convenient location for visiting Naples area attractions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted