We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Sorrento an Amalfi coast

Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Sorrento an Amalfi coast

We are on a cruise in early October planning to visit Pompeii, Sorrento and if possible Amalfi.

This is the plan ( suggestions please)

Taking a sita bus from port to Pompeii at 8am from there express train to Sorrento, need help on how to get to Amalfi and back ( is it doable?)

from Sorento back to Naples is train a good option

Or ferry a better one?

Need to be back on ship by 7pm

Best Seller
Rome to Pompeii and Mt. Vesuvius Day...
3,809 Reviews
from US$ 143.20*
Capri and Blue Grotto Day Tour from...
262 Reviews
from US$ 179.00*
Capri Day Trip from Rome
1,216 Reviews
from US$ 173.10*
5 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Sorrento an Amalfi coast

Hi there. I was in Italy last month and visited these places so I hope this helps you. If your journey starts in Naples I suggest taking circumvesuviana train. This train line runs from naples to sorrento and includes pompeii. So from Napoli Centrale you can take the circumvesuviana to Pompeii Scavi station which is near the entrance to the ruins and a place to get bus tickets to go up to the park where you can hike to vesuvius. Then you can go back to the circumvesuviana train all the way to sorrento. From the station you can get the Sita bus to amalfi and it will return to sorrento. When you get back to sorrento take the circumvesuviana train back to naples.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
17,770 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Sorrento an Amalfi coast

It sounds like your port day is 7 AM - 7 PM, correct? That would mean an all-aboard time of 6:30 PM.

The SITA bus to Pompei makes sense in the morning, the timing is perfect for you and the bus is closer to the port than the train, plus you'll get a seat on the bus and the AC will work. It's the same price either way and there is a ticket office at the bus depot, Piazza Immacolatella.

There is a Campania Express train from Pompei to Sorrento at 12:08. If this timing is good for you it's a much smarter and more comfortable option than the regular Circumvesuviana train. Schedule here: https:/…campania-express-2018-it

As for whether or not you can get to the Amalfi Coast, yes you can BUT you won't have much time there. I think you really need to choose between the AC or Sorrento, there simply isn't enough time to see both.

If you decide you'd rather spend your time on the AC I would alter your plans somewhat as follows:

- Plan your visit to Pompei in one direction, starting at the Porta Marina entrance (nearest to the bus stop) and ending at the Anfiteatro entrance/exit.

- Walk from Anfiteatro a half mile to the Trenitalia Pompei station and get a regional train to Salerno

- At Salerno take the ferry to either Amalfi or Positano

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
38,917 posts
626 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Sorrento an Amalfi coast

You could go to Pompeii and Sorrento in this time frame, I would avoid the Amalfi Coast though.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
17,770 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Sorrento an Amalfi coast

Actually, if you decide the Amalfi Coast is a "must see" you should go there first and save Pompei for the end of your day so you'll be closer to Naples and your ship.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
38,917 posts
626 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Sorrento an Amalfi coast

" if you decide the Amalfi Coast is a "must see" you should go there first and save Pompei for the end of your day"

I agree with this as well.

Reply to: Day trip to Sorrento an Amalfi coast
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted