We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naples cruise port - cars to Positano??

Boston...
Level Contributor
11 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Naples cruise port - cars to Positano??

I see similar posts but nothing recent. We will be docking in Naples on October 8th. Does anyone know if there will be swarms of taxi drivers offering rides to Positano? Some ports i've been to in the past there will be dozens of drivers with signs for "$XX to WHEREVER", Will this be the case in Naples for people trying to go to Positano? We will be arriving at port at 1PM and that is really the only thing we want to see. Maybe have an early dinner there then head back to the boat after getting some nice photos.

What's my best plan? Arrange something in advance or rely on the taxi guys?

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Province of Naples, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Best Seller
Ruins of Pompeii & Mt Vesuvius Day...
3,732 Reviews
from US$ 139.30*
Capri and Blue Grotto Day Tour from...
246 Reviews
from US$ 174.20*
Best Seller
Mt. Vesuvius and Pompeii Day Trip...
1,643 Reviews
from US$ 104.50*
2 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
44,502 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Naples cruise port - cars to Positano??

Book a car service - nicer vehicles than regular taxis and usually (not always) not as pricey but you should shop around -

I have used Guemar Travel (www.guemartravel.com) - not sure of their prices this season but you can email and make an inquiry explaining what you wish to do - I would expect roughly 150 euros each way (give or take) -

Not sure why you are unable to find posts on this - it comes up almost every day - there are many car services - so, I suggest doing some price checking with various ones -

It will take, depending on traffic, 1-1/2 hours Naples to Positano - often longer and since October is still high season, I'd factor in around 4 hours just in travel time (but, traffic varies so could be a wee bit less or a bit more)

If you are arriving at port at 1:00 p.m. - by the time you get off the boat and then spend roughly 2 hours just getting to Positano - it seems like less than a great way to spend a port day, sitting in a car in the traffic on the Amalfi Coast road - but, just assume, you would probably arrive in Positano around 3:30 p.m.

You will need to be dropped at the top of the pedestrian only walkway (at tiny Piazza dei Mulini) down to the sea/beach area if you wish to get to the actual sea/beach area (no roads there at all, you must walk down and up) - OR, you could ask the driver to drop you at the very top of the village so you can meander down the one, narrow, one-way road in the village (Viale Pasitea) which serpentines through the village till Piazza dei Mulini.

What time do you need to be back at the ship? I wouldn't give myself less than 2-1/2 hours to get back in time for your ship - but then I'd never do this sort of day trip that gives one so few hours actually in the village and has risks of delays getting back to ship in time -

But, everyone has their own risk levels (all one would need is an accident on the coastal road, not even a very serious one, and the delays can be very long for anyone in a vehicle - it is just a two lane road, one lane in each direction with loads of stopping, backing up, etc required to allow buses to pass -

Mentioned in this post
Guemar Travel
Guemar Travel
640 Reviews
Sorrento, Italy
Naples
Naples
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
17,345 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Naples cruise port - cars to Positano??

There will be drivers there looking for fares. Most cruise passengers seem to arrange car services ahead of time rather than get taxis at the port, in part because they are guaranteed an English speaking driver. Taxis drivers in Naples will typically speak transactional English but they won't be able to give you a running commentary or have much of a conversations with you, if that's important.

Naples has a fairly robust fixed-fare system for taxis. The fare for a round trip to the Amalfi Coast is 230 euro. However, if you want to stay for dinner you'll need more than six hours.

Odds are that you won't have enough time to stay for dinner in Positano. In order to get back to your ship and leave yourself some pad time for traffic you'd need to leave Positano at least two hour prior to your all-aboard time. Given that restaurants in Positano don't start serving dinner until 7 PM at the earliest, it's unlikely that you'll be able to do it. And even if you think you could squeeze it in, how enjoyable would the dinner be with the need to race back looming over your head?

You might have a more pleasant day if you come back and enjoy dinner at one of the lovely restaurants along the Naples waterfront, many of which are walking distance from the cruise port.

Naples taxi fares can be downloaded from the city's web site here: …napoli.it/flex/…1193

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Reply to: Naples cruise port - cars to Positano??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted